News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trying to identify this badge

I recently inherited some family medals.  This badge was among them.  I had been trying to identify it for some time.  I think I've finally figured it out - sort of!  It appears to be the  coat of arms of the German Empire, 1888–1918.  I'm wondering if it's a part of a uniform such as a hat badge or just a pin.  I'm a bit bewildered how it came to be in possession of my English/Irish family . . .

27wvd6p.jpg

24e7rf9.jpg

2iuf33c.jpg

2dk9xeg.jpg

I believe it to be real.  It had been in my father's possession since he inherited it.  He past several years ago and didn't know its history either.  My 2nd great uncle as in the 5th Dragoon Guards and  served in the Egyptian Campaign  (1882).  Do you think this piece dates back that far?

11 hours ago, KLG said:

I believe it to be real.  It had been in my father's possession since he inherited it.  He past several years ago and didn't know its history either.  My 2nd great uncle as in the 5th Dragoon Guards and  served in the Egyptian Campaign  (1882).  Do you think this piece dates back that far?

Hello , I dont think so , It was not before 1884 that Carl Peters begun his explorations of east Africa ,in 1888 a reichskomissar was send with a mercenary force to East Africa and in 1891 was created the Schutztruppe. whose askaris weared the eagle on the fez . but if your great uncle remained in Egypt after 1882 or returned or went to British East Africa after 1891 or to zanzibar may be a connection