News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish Order of the Red Cross to Emperor Menelik of Ethiopia

oamotme

Gentlemen,

Further to my ongoing research into the awards presented to Emperor Menelik of Ethiopia (ruled 1889-1913) I am having difficulty in ascertaining when and in what circumstances he was awarded the Order of the Red Cross. As he never left Abyssina/Ethiopia during his lifetime I am  'assuming' the award was made in connection with a diplomatic/humanitarian/missionary mission of some kind to the Emperor. This award dates from 1876 to 1899 thus the award to Menelik should date from the period 1889-99. The award is the lower right star in the images.

Any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Owain

P.S. The list of awards received by the the Emperor, excluding Ethiopian orders, are, as far as I am aware:

France - Legion of Honour

Germany - Order of the Red Eagle

Hungary - Order of St. Stephen

Italy - Order of Sts. Maurice & Lazarus

Russia - Order of Alexander Nevski

Turkey - Order of the Mejidie

United Kingdom - Order of the Bath

Menelik A.gif

menelik Detail.gif

Spain Red Cross Order Star.jpg

• 1 year later...

Dear Boris,

A long overdue thank you for these links  - both interesting but no closer to discovering why Menelik received the Spanish Order of the Red Cross. I think I will try and finish my article based on what information I have. If I wait until I have everything it will never see publication!

Kind regards,

Owain

Boris,

I have done another check to see if I have made a mistake on identifying the star but I am convinced it is the Spanish Order of the Red Cross - see image below.

Kind regards,

Owain 

Menelik Stars Detail.jpg