News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with the ID of Austro-Hungarian awards of Croatian WW2 Generals

I want to start this thread where I will post different photos of Croatian WW2 Generals that served in the Austro-Hungarian army during WW1.

I need help with identifying their awards. Sometimes there will be other decorations (not just Austro-Hungarian) and I hope you can help me ID those also.

First up is General Vladimir Laxa. Holder of the Knight's Cross of the Military Order of Maria Theresa.

1 Gallipoli Star (Ottoman War Medal)

2 Knight's Cross of the Military Order of Maria Theresa

3 Military Merit Cross 2nd Class with War Decoration and Swords ???

4 Order of the Iron Crown 2nd Class with War Decoration ???

5 ???

6 Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration ???

7 ???

8 ???

9 ???

10 ???

11 Croatian Military Order of the Iron Trefoil 2nd Class

12 Grand Cross of the Romanian Order of the Crown ???

13 ???

Please tell me if you agree with my "???" and also write the class of the awards if you know them.

You can also write the names of the awards in German.

Thanks!

Untitled.png

• Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with your IDs,  IDs follow, those without ? relatively positive IDs others, best guess:

#5  Austro-Hungarian [A-H] Leopold Order apparently with war decoration of lower class

#7  A-H  Merit Cross  Verdienstkreuz?

#8  A-H Signum Laudis [Military Medal of Merit--class?]?

#9  The (General) War Service Medal 1873

#10  A-H  Balkan Mobilisation Cross 1912-1913

#13  4 point star Bulgarian Natioinal Order Military Division Grand Officer w/o war decoration aka Military Merit Order post 1936 3rd class  

Edited by 922F
    spelchek

just some precision about A-H bar medals on the chest (rest is OK)

5 Knight Cross of Leopold Order with War Decoration and Swords

6 Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration and swords

7 Military Merit Cross 3rd Class (peace version)

8 Bronze Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis) with Swords

9 War Service Medal (Kriegsmedaille) 1873

10 Balkan Mobilisation Cross 1912-1913

- Military Merit Cross 2nd Class and Iron Crown 2nd class - both are with War Decoration and swords

Thank you guys for your quick responses! 

I will post more soon.

8 hours ago, Farkas said:

I’ve just read he was awarded this:

I dont know if this this is on display in your picture?

It seems he was a Man with principles who paid the price for them...

tony

Yes tony. According to my sources he was awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir with Star and Swords. He is not wearing it on the photo though.

16 hours ago, 922F said:

Agree with your IDs,  IDs follow, those without ? relatively positive IDs others, best guess:

#5  Austro-Hungarian [A-H] Leopold Order apparently with war decoration of lower class

#7  A-H  Merit Cross  Verdienstkreuz?

#8  A-H Signum Laudis [Military Medal of Merit--class?]?

#9  The (General) War Service Medal 1873

#10  A-H  Balkan Mobilisation Cross 1912-1913

#13  4 point star Bulgarian Natioinal Order Military Division Grand Officer w/o war decoration aka Military Merit Order post 1936 3rd class  

So #13 is the Grand Officer's Cross of the Bulgarian Order of Military Merit?

General Slavko Štancer. Portrait.

1 Croatian Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir 1st Class with Star and Swords (Around the neck and breast star)

2 ???

3 ???

4 ??? (also a Croatian award)

Medal bar (the medals are mounted very tight so I didn't numerate them), 6 or 7 medals?

- Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with War Decoration ???

- Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration ???

- Military Merit Cross 3rd Class (peace version) ???

- ???

- ???

- ???

Perhaps one more medal after the cross-shaped one?

Thanks!

Untitled.png

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

#2  Bulgarian Military Merit First Class or GC star [lack of painting detail makes determination difficult - looks to be first class based on sash appearance], without war decoration

#3 A-H Franz Josef Order officer

#4  Looks like Croat shield surrounded by "U" [Ustasha symbol] surmounted by an eagle?   Some sort of  air force or staff badge?  Must check a reference book.  Except for "U" somewhat similar to A-H Devil's Division badge.

At 2nd button hole, maybe a so-called Croatian Commemorative Badge, 1942-3, signifying service in the Croatian Army for over 1 year including six months or more at the front.

1 hour ago, 922F said:

#2  Bulgarian Military Merit First Class or GC star [lack of painting detail makes determination difficult - looks to be first class based on sash appearance], without war decoration

#3 A-H Franz Josef Order officer

#4  Looks like Croat shield surrounded by "U" [Ustasha symbol] surmounted by an eagle?   Some sort of  air force or staff badge?  Must check a reference book.  Except for "U" somewhat similar to A-H Devil's Division badge.

At 2nd button hole, maybe a so-called Croatian Commemorative Badge, 1942-3, signifying service in the Croatian Army for over 1 year including six months or more at the front.

#2 See the photo below for the bottom of the sash from the painting. Seems to be the Grand Cross of the Bulgarian Military Merit Order.

#4 Štancer commanded the 25th Royal Croatian Home Guard Regiment during WW1. That regiment was part of the 42nd Home Guard Infantry Division (Devil's Division). So it is quite possible this award is as you say, the A-H Devil's Division Badge. But on the painting it looks a little different (perhaps the painters fault).

Any idea about the medal bar awards?

Thanks

Untitled4.png

Generally, a bow at the Bulgarian sash juncture would suggest a Grand Cross, lack of a bow = 1st class--I cannot distinguish what's there.  If the painter accurately portrayed the sash, dimensions & stripe widths = lst class.

A-H awards on bar = Iron Crown, Merit Cross/Verdienstkreuz with and another without KD, & rest too much for my eyes. 

49 minutes ago, 922F said:

Generally, a bow at the Bulgarian sash juncture would suggest a Grand Cross, lack of a bow = 1st class--I cannot distinguish what's there.  If the painter accurately portrayed the sash, dimensions & stripe widths = lst class.

A-H awards on bar = Iron Crown, Merit Cross/Verdienstkreuz with and another without KD, & rest too much for my eyes. 

But 1st Class of the  Bulgarian Military Merit Order is the Grand Cross? Do you then think it's the Grand Officer?

Only the 1st class (Grand Cross) wears the sash: "I grade, Grand Cross. Awarded to senior state officers and military personnel. It was worn with a sash over the shoulder."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Military_Merit_(Bulgaria)

After 1936, the Bulgarian MMO comprised 6 enameled classes + 2 unenameled crosses.  Grand Cross, First Class, [both with sash, badge & 8 point star but differing details like star body format & sash width and color dimensions to distinguish grade difference], Grand Officer [neck badge, cravat & 4 point star], Commander, Officer & Knight + 2 unenameled crosses.   All could be awarded after 1916 with KD [an enameled laurel/oak wreath applied around the obverse center].  This KD appurtenance appeared only for the Order grades NOT the unenameled crosses.  Officer, Knight, & unenameled crosses used the Military Bravery ribbon rather than the MMO ribbon to demonstrate KD entitlement.   One 'grade' of the  unenameled crosses had a suspension crown & the other did not.

As sometimes typical, wiki's entry is faulty--the actual grade illustrated as Grand Cross on the site you linked [2nd image below] is a First Class with KD insignia set. 

Images of a GC with KD insignia set follow

GC set.jpg

First Class set (1).jpg

Silver cross without crown but with MBO ribbon signifying KD award

images.jpg

Edited by 922F
    spelchek

psb.thumb.jpg.33a7bb30dd73d1c1c5d5f8ae88a0390a.jpg

Photo of Austrian-Hungarian military wearing a large cross-class Bulgarian military order

1496681093_QQ20181124113655.png.f1184075a9908e753cd18a68e27baa94.png

As for the bar, you can refer to this photo. Austria’s military meritorious cross and the “Certificate of Glory” medal can be obtained many times, and the war period must be arranged in front of peacetime.

Here is the close up of the medal bar:

- Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with War Decoration and are those Swords on the ribbon ???

- Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration

- Military Merit Cross 3rd Class (peace version)

- Bronze Military Merit Medal (“Signum Laudis”) ??? (crown device below the ribbon, on the ring)

- Silver Military Merit Medal (“Signum Laudis”) ??? (or could it be another Bronze one?) (also crown device)

- Balkan Mobilisation Cross 1912-1913 ???

Untitled.png

- Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with War Decoration and a Swords

- Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration (and probably with Swords, those can´t be seen)

- Bronze Military Merit Medal (“Signum Laudis”) on the ribbon of Military Merit Cross (war version also probably with swords)

- Bronze Military Merit Medal (“Signum Laudis”) on the red ribbon (peace version)

- Military Long Service Decoration for Officers for 25 years

- last medal - unrecognizable, maybe some (Hungarian???) commemorative medal

1 hour ago, tifes said:

- Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with War Decoration and a Swords

- Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration (and probably with Swords, those can´t be seen)

- Bronze Military Merit Medal (“Signum Laudis”) on the ribbon of Military Merit Cross (war version also probably with swords)

- Bronze Military Merit Medal (“Signum Laudis”) on the red ribbon (peace version)

- Military Long Service Decoration for Officers for 25 years

- last medal - unrecognizable, maybe some (Hungarian???) commemorative medal

Thank you tifes. So is Laxa's Bronze Military Merit Medal also on the ribbon of the Military Merit Cross?

And could you post a photo of the Military Long Service Decoration for Officers for 25 years?

Thanks

You welcome. Yes, gen. Laxa is also having Bronze Military Merit Medal  on Military Merit Cross ribbon on the picture above however, the picture with his A-H decoration ribbon is very strange. According last k.u.k. generals and colonels list general major Laxa received following decorations during his A-H officer´s career:

Military Merit Cross 2nd Class with War Decoration (WD) and swords

Iron Crown Order 2nd Class with WD and swords

Order of Leopold - knight cross with WD and swords

Iron Crown Order 3rd class (obviously awarded before WWI, not worn after reception of 2nd Class)

Honour Decoration of Red Cross 1st Class

Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with WD (no swords)

Military Merit Cross 3rd Class (peace, awarded before WWI)

Bronze Military Merit Medal  on Military Merit Cross ribbon  

Bronze Military Merit Medal  on red ribbon (peace version, before WWI)

Military Long Service Decoration for Officers for 25 years

Commemorative Medal 1898 on ribbon for military 

Commemorative Cross 1908 on ribbon for military

There is no Mobilization Cross 1913 mentioned and he obviously never received it.

MMTO knight cross came later on,  just after WWI at the 188. promotion in 1921.

This is  Military Long Service Decoration for Officers for 25 years

https://www.emedals.com/europe/austria-imperial/medals/long-service-cross/an-austrian-long-service-cross-eu8650

Absolutely, because it is. I don't have any idea why that medal is there on his uniform.  

War Medal 1873 is just "gimmick" used by many WWI A-H veterans. That medal was issued in 1873 and was awarded to all combatants of Austrian Empire who took part in some military campaign before WWI. WWI veterans saw it as absolutely normal to put this medal on their uniform after war however it wasn't in the line with official statute.

mob cross.JPG

Thank you very much tifes for you help. Greatly appreciated!

To sum up Laxa, these are the awards I put on my list for him:

-Knight's Cross of the Austrian Military Order of Maria Theresa (awarded on 10 December 1921)
    -Military Merit Cross 2nd Class with War Decoration and Swords (Austria-Hungary) (1916)
    -Order of the Iron Crown 2nd Class with War Decoration and Swords (Austria-Hungary) (1917)
    -Knight's Cross of the Austrian Imperial Order of Leopold with War Decoration and Swords (1915)
    -Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration and Swords (Austria-Hungary)
    -Military Merit Cross 3rd Class (peace version) (Austria-Hungary) (1909)
    -Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class (Austria-Hungary) (1913)
    -Honour Cross 1st Class for Services to the Red Cross (Austria-Hungary)
    -Bronze Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis) with Swords on the Ribbon of the Military Merit Cross (Austria-Hungary)
    -Bronze Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis) on the Red Ribbon (peace version) (Austria-Hungary)
    -Military Long Service Decoration for Officers for 25 years (Austria-Hungary)
    -War Service Medal 1873 (Kriegsmedaille) (Austria-Hungary)
    -Commemorative Medal 1898 on the Ribbon for Military (Austria-Hungary)
    -Commemorative Cross 1908 on the Ribbon for Military (Austria-Hungary)
    -Balkan Mobilisation Cross 1912-1913 (Austria-Hungary)
    -Gallipoli Star (Ottoman War Medal)
    -Grand Cross of the Romanian Order of the Crown
    -Grand Officer's Cross of the Bulgarian Order of Military Merit
    -Croatian Military Order of the Iron Trefoil 2nd Class (20 February 1942)
    -Grand Cross of the Croatian Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir with Star and Swords (18 August 1942)

Is everything correct (the A-H awards listed I mean)?

The dates for the awards are from some Croatian sources.

You said above "Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with WD (no swords)". But I think those are swords on the ribbons of both the Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with WD and Bronze Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis)? See photo below (this is another darker photo).

Does the list where Laxa's awards were listed you posted earlier, show Štancer's (also spelt Stanzer or Stancer) awards?

Thanks!

Untitlede.png

I can serve only concerning A-H decoration

Knight's Cross of the Austrian Military Order of Maria Theresa (awarded on 12 October 1921)
    -Military Merit Cross 2nd Class with War Decoration and Swords (Austria-Hungary) (1917) - this one is higher then EKO II (awarded after EKOII for sure)

- Order of the Iron Crown 2nd Class with War Decoration and Swords (Austria-Hungary) (1916/1917)
    -Knight's Cross of the Austrian Imperial Order of Leopold with War Decoration  (1915) (no swords)

-Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class (Austria-Hungary) (1913) 

-Military Merit Cross 3rd Class (peace version) (Austria-Hungary) (1909)
    -Honour Cross 1st Class for Services to the Red Cross (Austria-Hungary) -during WWI (quite high decoration form only general-major)
    -Bronze Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis) with Swords on the Ribbon of the Military Merit Cross (Austria-Hungary)
    -Bronze Military Merit Medal (Signum Laudis) on the Red Ribbon (peace version) (Austria-Hungary)
    -Military Long Service Decoration for Officers for 25 years (Austria-Hungary)
    -War Service Medal 1873 (Kriegsmedaille) (Austria-Hungary) -  not official award
    -Commemorative Medal 1898 on the Ribbon for Military (Austria-Hungary)
    -Commemorative Cross 1908 on the Ribbon for Military (Austria-Hungary)
    -Balkan Mobilisation Cross 1912-1913 (Austria-Hungary) - never awarded

It seems that for some period of time he was not active on battlefield, just on hinterland. 

laxa.png