News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gents, is there anyone who could kindly post a picture of a Met Police cape please.

I am looking for one to add to my collection but I'm not sure of the correct look. Did they just have a chain? Or did they have a lion head. We're the numbers worn on the collar etc.

Thanks as always for any help on this.

Dave

Edited by David68

Dave,

The last issue cape was made of a rubberised material. It was fastened at the neck with a leather strap and buckle. The collar number was an individually made (for each officer) badge consisting of his div. letter & number. This was affixed to one side of the leather strap with loops and split pin. The capes appear on eBay from time to time. Hope this is helpful. I will try to find a photo for you.

Dave.   

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

• 2 months later...

They were actually intended as cycling capes, and had elastics on the inside to put your hands / handlebars (not advised!) through, to prevent the cape billowing up in the wind. They came in (I seem to remember) 4 Sizes, and  were occasionally worn for foot patrols by some officers.

I bought one new and unused (from "Lau(w)rence Corner", for our older readers!) when the Met cast them some 40 years ago,  with the intention of wearing it as a "Special" on night duty .