News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alpenkorps EK1 from hand to hand......

I was very very happy to get this as part of a grouping to a 2nd Bavarian Jäger officer (Alpenkorps)... direct from the family...

Lt. d. Res Zieglwalner was wounded by a bullet in the Lung in the assault on the Vulkan Pass. He was evacuated to München. The Battalion History says Generalmajor Busse of the 301st Division gave the EK1 to Major Bauernschmitt (Commander of the 2nd Jäger Batl) to forward to Zieglwalner in Hospital. Zieglwalner died in 1925 and this was with the family until last week.... It is a SW crossziegb2.thumb.jpg.172543e0f0fdbacc2181488e37c1a7c1.jpgziegb3.thumb.jpg.926f1ae29578f562be212656b64b10fc.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Chris, I haven't bought anything Imperial for quite a while however, that's a cracking lot that can make a bloke a little jealous. Its coming from the family that does it for me.

I also have an EK with case and card outer box but the name was pencilled and it's a little too faded to make out who he was. Was your grouping local?

• 1 year later...

Hello Chris,

Thank you for this harrowing and well-written story of combat.  I can't help but think of the sad end of Lt. d. Res. Zeiglwalner a.d. After all that he survived, to end up drowned in a canal.  HIs family must have been devastated.  I am glad that you were able to obtain these items and document the history of this Officer.

Best regards,

28 minutes ago, Schießplatzmeister said:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for this harrowing and well-written story of combat.  I can't help but think of the sad end of Lt. d. Res. Zeiglwalner a.d. After all that he survived, to end up drowned in a canal.  HIs family must have been devastated.  I am glad that you were able to obtain these items and document the history of this Officer.

Best regards,

Hi, indeed a bit of luck involved.... he died with no kids, the wife remarried and the awards were with the new husbands stuff (he was a Veterinarian in WW1).

It was a hard decision, but I split the two groups as they were not blood relatives.

But Lt. Z. now has his place in history assured.