News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Colour / Flag Identification help required

Hello from Germany,

Included  with a tunic to the Irish guards

I purchased at auction in the US this kind of colour.

The Union Jack is from silk material.

I would appreciate any hint of its origin Force, as I am a collector of Police Insignia I am not very familiar with these items.

Many thanks in advance!

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

0A899DE4-9097-4991-BA4A-21C5F680CF21.jpeg

To state the obvious (to British collectors) - the crown appears to be from Victoria's reign, and the three feathers belong to the Prince of Wales.  Couldn't connect the scroll with II to any regiment with Prince of Wales.  So much from the dilettante.  Now let's hear from the experts.  

11 hours ago, Hugh said:

To state the obvious (to British collectors) - the crown appears to be from Victoria's reign, and the three feathers belong to the Prince of Wales.  Couldn't connect the scroll with II to any regiment with Prince of Wales.  So much from the dilettante.  Now let's hear from the experts.  

The crown could also be for QEII.  I assume the II is either for a 2nd Battalion or is for Her Majesty....I also cannot id this to any Prince of Wales regiment.

I assume it is quite small and is more of  a pennant than a "colour"?

wg company pennant 5 sv.jpg

wg company pennant 5.jpg

wg company pennant 6.jpg

wg company pennant 7.jpg

Welsh-Guards-Parade-TC.jpg

wg Colours.jpg

WG 8th company colours #1 mv.jpg

This is what is known as a Company Bunting which, certainly in the Coldstream Guards would be posted outside the Company Office and would be the responsibility of the Company Clerk. As this example has the 'II' in the centre it would, I believe refer to Number 2 Company of a particular Foot Guards Battalion.

The plume of feathers is an ancient symbol and is used by many Units, not only those with a Welsh connection.

These small flags are seen on occasion and are carried by the Colour Markers on Parades such as Trooping the Colour.

They are also frequently seen on Company Photographs of the various Foot Guard Regiments. They were often given to Company Commanders as a farewell gift on promotion, retirement etc.

Regards Simon.