News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Re: Constabulary truncheon information required

Hello all. I am new here.

I recently came into posession of what I believe to be two constabulary truncheons as pictured here.

Both have GR inscribed on the butt and shaft. Would anyone be able to advise the relevance of the lettering (i.e. if it is related to the regency or constabulary where it might have been issued) and roughly when they might have been made?

Many thanks in advance

CJE

a.jpg

a.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your truncheons do indeed represent a puzzle. The one on top is fashioned in the style of early 20th century Hiatt truncheons, while the lower one is not as easily recognizable. Both appear too short to be issued to regular coppers, at least until recently, and both have been either newly manufactured or refinished by the same person and, apparently, at the same time. An old truncheon, even if it spent the last 200 years in somenody’s underwear drawer, would show at least some wear on the ends. 

I may be guessing beyond my expertise level, but I think that the stamps do not indicate any official connection. 

If nothing else, they are both attractive pieces, but of limited historical significance.

Now, with a bit of luck, one of the real experts will have some better news for you.

Mike  

Edited by Mike McLellan

Hello Mike.

Many thanks for your impressions. I did receive both together so its possible they could have been refurbished. I am still puzzled as to the significance of the GR24 stamps, so if anyone else has an opinion that would be most helpful.