News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MGSSA 10 EK1, Nivelle Offensive....

On the 16th of April 1917 the Russian Expeditionary Force attacked near Courcy / Fort Brimont. The attack was decimated by the men of the Gruppe Brimont...

The 2 Russian Brigades on tghe Aisne suffered losses of over 4500 men. After the Battle the Russian troops mutinied

Vizefeldwebel Jäger was awarded the Iron Cross 1st class.

The back of the cross was lightly engraved with his name and unit, obviously a well worn field piece the engraving is almost no longer readable... I assume the engraving was not "for show" but for praticle purposes incase he lost it.... much of the engraving was erased when the cross was repaired...

So a hard worn cross to a really well healed unit... the French losses in the offensive were horrendous.... z3.thumb.jpg.e8657e938ef4432b424ec840ac637f86.jpgz4.jpg.a70aa03db26c9ad29e3f3940cfede1ab.jpgz5.thumb.jpg.42e7a3d0e59511f1646a04effc1abda0.jpg

i like these "front fighter" crosses and am always keen to see how the field repairs were done. if it's not too much of a hassle would it be possible to view the catch from a different angle?

it's plausible that for many young men these self-engraved crosses served as a second dog tag

On 24/01/2019 at 16:21, Eric Stahlhut said:

i like these "front fighter" crosses and am always keen to see how the field repairs were done. if it's not too much of a hassle would it be possible to view the catch from a different angle?

it's plausible that for many young men these self-engraved crosses served as a second dog tag

Hi, it is hard to get a good shot of the pic... it is very rudimentary... basically like a questionmark laid on its side and the straight bit flattened out and soldered....es.jpg.643f6a421386ca98706102b327e2c0dd.jpg