gabatgh

Ancient Halberd

Hello all!

Over twenty years ago this halberd was bought for me by an experienced antique dealer (who admittedly didn't know squat about weapons). I do not know where it was bought from. A story came with it, which I'll withhold for the moment.

Might any of you know anything about this weapon? There is a quite large ...hallmark?... on one side of the blade that sort of looks like a scorpion. Within seems to be a plus sign and the letter B. 

The blade is still edged, but not necessarily sharp. I definitely would not want this thing falling on me.

20190205_193349.jpg

20190205_193400.jpg

20190205_193422 - Copy.jpg

20190205_193439 - Copy.jpg

20190205_193548 - Copy.jpg

Here's some more pictures...

20190205_193401 - Copy.jpg

20190205_193758 - Copy.jpg

20190205_193858.jpg

20190205_193859.jpg

What a beautiful old piece! I have to wonder, though, why anyone would cut that notch in such a conspicuous place. Even if it were for carbon dating or other molecular testing, a more discreet chunk of material could be had. The wooden part is as well preserved as could be expected, and together, they make an exciting bit of history, with or without the “story”. 

Mike

There is a book titled "Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe" by John Waldman, which is partially available for free at scribd.com. This book seems to be the leading guide on these matters.

As a non-paying member of scribd.com I can search in the book but not read the book. These are the results for a search of "scorpion"

1. collection. Fig. 64. Italian “scorpion” of about 1530. Note that althoug
  2. is shown in the detail photo of the scorpion mark. Courtesy of the Metropolitan Muse
  3. but made a transition via the “scorpion” form, which was indeed a powerfu
  4. down to the beak-spike. Note the scorpion mark. Private collection. Fig. 62. Larg
  5. Fischer, Lucerne. Fig. 64. Italian “scorpion” of about 1530. Note that although the
  6. is shown in the detail photo of the scorpion mark. Courtesy of the Metropolitan Muse
  7. exists with a similar form called a “Scorpion,” so named because it bears a scorpion
  8. so named because it bears a scorpion mark (fig. 64). The scorpion, howeve
  9. bears a scorpion mark (fig. 64). The scorpion, however, has a less massive blad
  10. century including the well-known “scorpion” mark also found on Italian roncones an
  11. 163 Schön 16 Schorno 61, 87 Schwyz 21 scorpion 34, 67–68, 69, 109 Scottish Acts 195 Sc

No doubt items 2 and 6 are referring to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan. I think the next time I have a trip planned to NYC (I visit fairly regularly) I will contact them prior to see if I can meet with the someone from the Arms and Armor department and take the bill with me.

I have already contacted them by email about this and am waiting for a reply. I have also contacted the Basel Historical Museum in Switzerland regarding this and am also awaiting their reply.