News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mannerheim cross for sale?

misiu

Considering that this award was only awarded 2 times, one of them to Mannerheim himself, I doubt there even are any in private collections.

About two year ago a Swedish auction house offered a cased near mint 2nd class for sale. The asking price was about €30,000 however I don't recall what the result was. 

Yes, only two such crosses have been awarded, the first one to Marshal Mannerheim himself and the second one to Finnish Chief of the General Staff, General Erik Heinrichs. Neither one is for sale, and as far as I know, they are the only 1st class crosses ever made.

There's also an extra challenge for collectors not living in Finland trying to acquire a Mannerheim Cross. The Finnish law considers them as objects of special historical value, and if you are planning to take such a cross outside the country legally, you would need a permit from the government. I imagine getting one would be a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    On 12/02/2019 at 19:14, Tursas said:

Yes, only two such crosses have been awarded, the first one to Marshal Mannerheim himself and the second one to Finnish Chief of the General Staff, General Erik Heinrichs. Neither one is for sale, and as far as I know, they are the only 1st class crosses ever made.

There's also an extra challenge for collectors not living in Finland trying to acquire a Mannerheim Cross. The Finnish law considers them as objects of special historical value, and if you are planning to take such a cross outside the country legally, you would need a permit from the government. I imagine getting one would be a challenge.

I remember may years,ago Pajari's with 2nd award and all the stuff that went with it. The Finnish government soon put a stop to that.

Paul

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:58, misiu said:

Finally got one, no number, but hallmarked with Helsinki and Tillander.

I would love to see some pictures of your cross and it´s hallmarks.

I'm also curious to see what exactly you have acquired, because I have never heard of a Mannerheim Cross 1st class being sold anywhere. That makes the authenticity of such a piece highly doubtful, in my humble opinion.

I remember the last time a 2nd class cross (which are much more common than the 1st class) was sold at an auction. It was reported in newspapers, so it really is a rare event. But then the Mannerheim Cross itself is something special in Finland. The cross and its knights symbolize the struggle for independence of a whole nation.

• 1 month later...

I saw a Mannerheim Cross for sale from Auono Kuiri at Bukowskis.  a 2nd class went for 25 000 Euro ? Do not remember when 

2011 The 2nd class awarded to Oiva Rönkä was out for 40 000 Euro ( but i couldn´t  be exported out of Finland) 

And Tiainen says that 220 Mannerheim Crosses 2nd class where made against 8 1st class 

I think a genuine Mannerheim Cross 1st class should reach about 100 000 Euro probably ?

Would love to see pictures of the 1 st class mentioned in this thread 

Does anyone know how many are known in Finnish Museums ?

Christer

Edited by christerd