News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

6th Overseas University Co. CEF

Hello

I have Victory Medal that was awarded to a private who's service record states he was in the 6th Overseas University Co. CEF.

I cant find any information relating to this unit, can anyone shed any light or information on this unit?

regards

Caz

Sadly, many units of the CEF seem to have used the term 'Overseas' pretty promiscuously, whether or not it was part of their official nomenclature.  The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th University Companies were sent to England in 1915 as reinforcement drafts for the Prince Patricia's Cdn Light Infantry. 

The 6th University Company was recruited in Military District 4 - Montreal and Eastern Quebec, so very probably made up of McGill University students - the English language university in Montreal.  The original serial number block assigned the 6th was: 489751-490250.  A large number of the men with those numbers ended up in the PPCLI or in the 1st and 2nd Pioneer Battalions.  Paylists exist for the 6th Uni. Coy in our archives in Ottawa but have not been digitized yet.

As you have his name and serial you can look up his service records here: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx

Good luck and please let us know what you find out!