News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Russian Navy

Good evening to all,

This is my first ever post on a forum so please be kind!

I am looking for help in obtaining any and all pictures of Imperial Russian Naval officers up to 1914 focusing on those wearing the long frock coat. I am in the process of trying to find out all information I can as I am planning on recreating the uniform of a Naval Attaché/adjutant (Kapitan 1st rank). I have brought a few books on the subject all in Russian naturally but I am struggling to find information on type of buttons, cut of trousers etc. Ideally I would like full length photos or anything showing the uniform in detail, I know I'm most likely asking a lot. I have attached a photo I have already taken from one of my books showing the exact style as a guide for people.  I have a well respected seamstress in France with years of uniform making experience waiting in the wings and itching to get started on this commission. But I have hit a brick wall and I am not prepared to get anything made without the accurate detail. I was hoping someone on the forum maybe able to help me. 

Regards

Michael.

Imperial Russian Naval Officer in frock coat 2.jpg

Mike

Welcome to the GMIC!  I hope one of our members is able to help and, in fact, think there is some reasonable chance that may happen.  I continue to be amazed by the breadth [and depth] of knowledge on such admittedly obscure topics.  

Good luck with the research!

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your message, I certainly hope someone the forum will be able to assist me. I have made some progress since my post and I am waiting for some information from the Central Naval Museum in St Petersburg, so I am moving slowly in the right direction. I've just purchased an original  part of the officers belt, one of the hanger sections for the dirk which I am over the moon with.

Kind regards

Michael.

Hello Mike, The Imperial Russian Navy officers uniforms were different of that of other Navies . Firstly the cuff rank laces were not used .the rank was carried on the shoulders . secondly, the current naval badge of the anchor was not used on the cap . the cap badge was the same oval cockade used by Army officers. and other differences. In the movie Admiral of 2008 you can see a good recreation of officers uniforms.

Michael,

One of my go to place for reference on Russian uniforms is Collect Russia.  Here is a link to his page on Russian books.  You can also sign up for his newsletter which may contain some information useful to you.  https://www.collectrussia.com/showcat.htm?cat=BkImpUni 

The other location that would be useful is the Comunist Bloc Militaria sub forum on the Wehremacht Awards Forum (WAF)  http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53 Tis forum deals mostly with the post 1917  era but their may be someone there that can offer some help.  Or you can try the International Forum sub forum on the WAF.

Regards,

Gordon