Ravenft

How were soldiers awarded bravery medals from different German States?

I have medals from a soldier awarded the Bavarian Military Merit Cross and a Hanseatic Cross from Hamburg and was curious how this was achieved. 

I’m not asking for my specific case just wondering about the protocol. Like Was he from Bavaria and under the command of someone from Hamburg or did he save someone’s life who was from Hamburg? That sort of thing.

Thanks,

Rav

That's a good question, with several answers. Natives of one state who were serving under another state's unit might get decorations from both states. Sometimes, if an honorary officer of a regiment was from the same state as a 'foreigner' in the unit, he might distribute awards based upon this. Units were sometimes seconded to serve under the command of other states' units, resulting in this practice as well. High profile awards were made as a propaganda statement, for instance in the case of Otto Weddigen in 1914 and later von Richthofen, although the Bavarians never gave him the MMJO.

Sometimes it was something like a Soldier from State XXX served in a Bavarian regiment, and got State XXX awards as well

Sometimes a Regiment fought under the command of a different Division for a certain action, i.e. a Prussian Regiment under a Bavarian Division commander... and they got Bavarian awards for that action

Some small units were pushed backwards and forwards under different divisions or General kommandoes not of their own state (Ammunition columns, field hospitals etc) and they got awards from the different states commands they fell under

Some like the Bavarian 21st IR were named for someone like Großherzog Friedrich Franz IV. of Mecklenburg Schwerin who then visited and distributed medals...

Those are the ways I can think of off the top of my head