News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

unknown cavalry badge

Google translate tells me that 'Riding Club' in Slovak is 'Jazdecký Klub' so I suspect that that accounts for the JK in VJK, making this the membership (?) badge of a riding club in Košice rather than anything military.

1 hour ago, Trooper_D said:

Google translate tells me that 'Riding Club' in Slovak is 'Jazdecký Klub' so I suspect that that accounts for the JK in VJK, making this the membership (?) badge of a riding club in Košice rather than anything military.

Someone told me that V = vojenský = militay. So VJK stands for Military riding club...

7 hours ago, mariusgin said:

Someone told me that V = vojenský = militay. So VJK stands for Military riding club...

If so, that brings it nicely back on topic :)

2 hours ago, paul wood said:

Many czech-slovak military horseman were excepional amateur jockeys and participated in the Czech jump race that made the grand national seem like a klddies outing.

Paul

Called Velká pardubická or so Wikipedia tells me,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velká_pardubická

Hello, After the disintegration of the Austro Hungarian Empire the city of Kassa until these time part of Hungary went to the new State of Czechoslovakia and was renamed Kosice . it was in the Slovakian portion of the new nation . The Army of Czechoslovakia received many ex Imperial officers and specially in the Slovakian portion many traditions of the Imperial Army were retained including the cavalry school and equestrian skills 

By one of those strange coincidences, today's Daily Telegraph (a UK broadsheet newspaper, for those who don't know it) has published a review of a book about the first (and only?) female winner of the Velká pardubická.

As far as I am aware it isn't behind the paywall (I'm a subscriber so I can't tell) so I would encourage a read as - to keep it on topic for GMIC - it mentions the influence of the Austro-Hungarian cavalry in the starting of the race as well as its politicisation just before WW2 (a third of the entry in 1937 were German officers).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/unbreakable-richard-askwith-review-tale-nazi-fighting-jockey/

Edited by Trooper_D