News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fenian Raid Medal Identify

Hello,

I just acquired a fenian raid medal tonight and I am trying to find out some information about the soldier. 

It is engraved Corporal T.I.Everett 18th Battalion with a Fenian Raid 1870 bar.

I searched findmypast and ancestry and drew a blank, any helps greatly appreciated.

thanks

The 18th was the Prescott Infantry.  245 medals to the unit, plus about 17 late issues.

You're looking for Thomas J. Everett in or around Prescott, Ontario.

In the 1871 Census, that's who we find.  21 year old Thomas J Everett, a Farmer in Hawksbury East, Prescott.

No sign of him in the 1881 or 1891 Census, though, oddly.  Because the medal would have had to be claimed by him in 1899 or later.

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1871/pdf/4396763_00272.pdf

Hi, Irish.  I'm Andrew, and Colonial Canadian medals are my specialty.  :D

Edited by Nightbreak
    Adding link and introducing myself

On 03/04/2019 at 14:23, Nightbreak said:

You're looking for Thomas J. Everett in or around Prescott, Ontario.

In the 1871 Census, that's who we find.  21 year old Thomas J Everett, a Farmer in Hawksbury East, Prescott.

No sign of him in the 1881 or 1891 Census, though, oddly.  Because the medal would have had to be claimed by him in 1899 or later.

I dabble in genealogy - as it applies to military service and medals - and I am often surprised by how many people are missing from Census reports, before, after or between counts in which they do appear.  Sadly, between transcription errors, missed households and those who moved - more common than we think, I suspect - it's not uncommon to find this kind of gap.  If Everett was a farmer but not an eldest son, for example, he may well have left his home district to find his own land in another area.  Or he just got missed.  Interesting puzzle!

7 hours ago, Nightbreak said:

May have moved to the States or to the UK and just had his medal sent on to him there.

Or further west in Canada - the Prairies were beginning to open up to homesteaders by the 1880s - 90s.  And, as you say, moving from Canada to the US and vice-versa was quite common.

I checked for all of Canada, once I saw he hadn't appeared in 1881.  No matching ages, even on either side of 31.  It seems none of his family members remained in Hawkesbury, either.

1861 Census seems to have his parents as CW and Eliza Everett, 48 & 49 years old respectively, and another 8 Everetts beneath them.

In 1871, at 21, he's now listed as head of the household, with his mother Eliza at 58.  They are an Irish family, too.

4391570_00106.jpg

Edited by Nightbreak