Sign in to follow this  
BalkanCollector

Black ribbon bar for Tito's funeral (?)

This ribbon is currently for sale on ebay and it's being sold as a black ribbon bar for Tito's funeral. I've never seen anything like this nor have I read about these black ribbon bars.

Any information will be appreciated!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks like a ribbon bar of the Order of St john or the Order of  malta. The Tito mourning ribbon has the most powerful stench of bull to have come out of e-bay for many a year and enough comes out of there to fertilise half of the USA.

Paul

I have never heard of any case of a 'mourning ribbon'' - state morning is indicated by a black armband on the left sleeve. Personal mourning when in uniform is indicated by covering a button (think it's the 2nd one from the top) with black cloth.

The Norwegian and Swedish royal families are given to medals to mark personal rather than state milestones - but the only black ribboned example I can think of was Sweden's King Gustav V, for whom a Memorial Funeral Medal was issued in 1951 for participation in his funeral the previous year. Sweden also has the Royal Order of the Northern Star, which had a black ribbon until 1975 (then they changed to a yellow-edged blue one).

Yugoslavia's never had anything with a black ribbon at all. I agree with Paul's assessment... although I smell fish rather than bovine manure :)