Sign in to follow this  
IJSBEER

23. U-Flottille (Ger) / 23rd U-Boat Flotilla (USA)

onderzeeer.thumb.png.fbdfce7025e3ad69822ac116c1d45567.pngI have no doubt as to the  WW2 authenticity of this 2.5 inch badge, yet I wonder how cap ornaments like this (i.e. without boreholes) were actually worn in daily practice? Also, could someone please fill me in on the true meaning of the abbreviation of "Masch. Büro". My gut instinct tells me that this very device once belonged to a U-boat machinist on board of a submarine belonging to the 23rd flotilla. I've no bloody clue...

Hello, Maschinen Buro , Perhaps ? roughly translated Machine Room , or Maschinisten Buro, that is Machinists Office

Posted (edited)
On 08/04/2019 at 03:21, Bayern said:

Hello, Maschinen Buro , Perhaps ? roughly translated Machine Room , or Maschinisten Buro, that is Machinists Office

Thank you kindly, Bayern, for your suggestion. Your explanation is exactly what I had in mind back then, and that would make it a somewhat sarcastic and ironic clownish badge, with the emphasize on "Buro" inside a U-boot. I mean, having a privileged working space inside a U-boot, right? I have not seen any .23 Flottille article prior, nor after I obtained this object. Thanks for your call.

Edited by IJSBEER

IJSBEER , My pleasure,