News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian medal 1980 - need info

I think this is some kind of "Brotherhood in Arms" medal. I need a bit basic info:

1) The English name of the medal.

2) The purpose of the small, circular device attached between the ribbon and the medal - is it just a miniature or did it add some purpose/explanation for the full size medal (and hence was supposed to be attached to the medal).

3) Rarity.

This medal came with a large group for a Polish Major General (gen.dyw.) Henryk Rapacewicz, that I bought a few years ago. He held quite a few important offices during Communism: Commander of the Silesian Military District (SOW) and during Martial Law from 1981-1983 he was a member of the 23 man Council for National Salvation (WRON), that de facto held all power in Poland.

Best regards Aahauge

Rapacewicz24.jpg

1) Brotherhood in Arms Medal - gold grade (First Class), Fegyverbarátságért Érdemérem arany fokozata,  ezüst and  eronz fokozata would be the 2nd and Third classes, Silver and Bronze grades respectively.

Numbers 54, 58 and 62 in the Hungarian order of precedence

2) Just a miniature  i think, here you can see the two pins on the back for attachment.

Hope that is a little help,

Regards Eddie

Hungarian Brotherfood in arms medal.jpg

Thx Eddie!

Just the sort of info I was looking for ? . I'm used to Polish medals, so the miniature confused me a bit.....in Poland they come with a ribbon (either cloth or enamel), but aye, my mini has the same sorts of pins for fastening, so guess the general just clamped it around the medal ring to not loose it ? 

Best regards Aahauge

The minatures are attached to ribbon bars so not similar to the Polish examples.

So it seems it was never worn in your Major Generals case

Regards Eddie

Brotherhood.jpg

Edited by Taz

Thx again Eddie,

Now I can visualize how the circular mini-device was used. I know that the actual medal was fastened to one of the long metal bars, he used on official occasions, when he wore all his decorations - and I'm also fairly certain that he never attached the miniature to his ribbon bars. He had some 40+ ribbons on his bars, and probably didn't think much about this minor detail.

Best regards Aahauge