News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first George IV short staff - Dundee

Well, after waiting for Customs to finish playing around with it, I finally received my latest Scottish staff.  A fellow medal collector pointed it out to me, knowing I collect this type, and I must have consulted at least half a dozen people, including some on this forum as to its authenticity. 

The Dundee Police Force was officially formed in 1824, and all known examples of their truncheons, including those in John Green's book, are those of the 'traditional' variety, as shown here:

f2748d43-5cc0-48dd-bb03-6dd22313546e.jpg.6780841dc0fcf6ddb5c49e223ef8ac02.jpg

This one is oak, 67 cm long, by 3 cm in diameter, and bears the George IV (1820 - 1830) cipher, crown, and an 'urn of lilies', which is the Dundee crest.  It's also not in any of my books, which are my first source of information.  I had to rely on gut feeling, as well as comparing it with those already in my collection, and some other 'unknowns' I know of, then I sent out a flurry of messages.  Everyone I asked said the same thing: 'On first look, it seems good, so take the chance'.  So I did!

Left is the Dundee staff, and on the right is one of my own, a George III from Brechin.

P3071065.thumb.JPG.efc4f8fe827e98db2da5b417a6d91240.JPG

P3071075.thumb.JPG.bdd95129a1b794359d203a01f704f9f3.JPG

Perhaps it was originally a George III that was changed to a IV, the way the narrow right arm of the V comes in compared to the left, but that's mere speculation. 

P3071077.thumb.JPG.23116123d895d70794dc64b4ae3e2990.JPGP3071078.thumb.JPG.1ab483a20f0d67157b3b4d6e78cbd364.JPG

15 hours ago, Nightbreak said:

...Perhaps it was originally a George III that was changed to a IV, the way the narrow right arm of the V comes in compared to the left, but that's mere speculation...

P3071077.thumb.JPG.23116123d895d70794dc64b4ae3e2990.JPG

Wide left arm against narrow right arm is the standard way to do a V in Roman numerals, eg:

Image result for roman alphabet

Excellent advisement.  Then my speculation is wrong and it was indeed made as a George IV.  Given the official Force was formed only four years later, either there's a narrow window when it was made, or they had a parish constable still around while putting together a police force.

Very nice staff. I don’t think you should rule out the possibility that it may have been the staff of a city magistrate or other high ranking official. The beautifully painted urn with lilies suggests that the owner was a man of importance, rather than merely a “ground pounding” constable.  Quite beautiful. 

Mike