News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The French Collection

Hauptmann

• Replies 201
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonjour Darrell,

Quel est ce Croix de Guerre TOE de qui vous parlez ? (What is this Croix de Guerre TOE you speak of?)... not familiar with that? Is it Vichy?

Speaking of which how about seeing a bunch of Vichy stuff... no water though! :shame:

As always, beautiful goodies! I'm like a kid in a candy store. Sounds like you and I are much alike... a bit of everything. I see's it, I like's it and if I've got enough $$'s I buy's it! :D

Thanks for sharing, :cheers:

Dan

Here's my WW2 Croix de Guerre (complete grouping with a couple of others):

Darrell,

This I must say is a very handsome little bar... wouldn't mind owning it myself... if you ever decide to pass her on... :rolleyes: Simple... understated and yet very appealing. In other words I likes it alot! :love::love::jumping::jumping:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Quel est ce Croix de Guerre TOE de qui vous parlez ? (What is this Croix de Guerre TOE you speak of?)... not familiar with that? Is it Vichy?

No, the TOE was for services outside of metropolitan France, in the colonies. Much more interesting!

I have a few random, rogue, French single items and, when the pros have posted I may add a few. (No interest in Vichy stuff, though.) The only CdG I have in a group (and a triple gallantry group!) is one of which I am quite proud; it is already up over at

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2331&st=19

so I'll not double-post here.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Darrell

Bonjour Darrell,

In short .... The full title of this is Croix de Guerre des Th??tres d'Op?rations Ext?rieurs. It was instituted in 1921 as a reward for overseas service during World War One.

In short .... The full title of this is Croix de Guerre des Th??tres d'Op?rations Ext?rieurs. It was instituted in 1921 as a reward for overseas service during World War One.

. . . and after. All the way up through the last post-WWII colonial wars.

No, the TOE was for services outside of metropolitan France, in the colonies. Much more interesting!

Hi Ed,

Many thanks for the explanation on that. These are just beautiful pieces. I'm so glad the ball got rolling on all this as I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing them all and hope to see many more.

Dan

Hi Darrell,

Well, I really like it. The ribbon color on this one and many of the other French pieces really look very fetching for some reason. I could collect them for that reason if no other. :D I guess it's one of those things like enamel and cases... just love em and gotta have em! :love::love::jumping::jumping:

Dan

Guest Darrell

. . . and after. All the way up through the last post-WWII colonial wars.

Ed is correct ... I guess my "short" was too short :blush:

Guest Darrell

I have a few random, rogue, French single items and, when the pros have posted I may add a few. (No interest in Vichy stuff, though.) The only CdG I have in a group (and a triple gallantry group!) is one of which I am quite proud; it is already up over at

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2331&st=19

so I'll not double-post here.

Amazing collection Ed. Ever counted how many groups you have all told?

Guest Darrell

No, not sure I want to know :P

I was just curious where and how you store them. I only own about 10 groups (Trios / Campaign Star type groups) and they take up a huge amount of space.

An ex-student of mine manages a local bank branch (showing what a history degree is worth) and cut me a deal on safety deposit box rental (the size of a small European city car). Means my babies do not live at home. :( When we ship our youngest off to college, . . . ???

Space is a major problem. But when we can reclaim teenage daughter cubic-meters-o-trash, . . . ? Much family negotiation awaits.

Guest Darrell

... But when we can reclaim teenage daughter cubic-meters-o-trash, . . . ? Much family negotiation awaits.

LOL ... That reminds me ... mine will be off to university in about 1 1/2 years time ... Extra Bedroom = War Room :rolleyes::jumping:

Somehow me thinks the other 1/2 will have different ideas :shame:

Edited by Darrell

What's the date on the one in the lower Right Hand Corner with all the "twigs" ;) on it?

Bottom row 1914-15with palm and star, 1914-15 with fourrag?re, 1914-16 three stars and palm, 1914-17 with star, 1914-17 silverplated, 1914-18 four palms two stars

Middle row french production variants 1939

Top row North Africa production (wrong ribbon), the so called "Corps expeditionnaire en Italie" production (2x), London model (2x) and a "flatback" variant.

We must be careful though with these "local" manufactures, there is as yet no concensus amongst collector's as to where exactly which variant was produced.

Jan

Guest Darrell

Bottom row 1914-15with palm and star, 1914-15 with fourrag?re, 1914-16 three stars and palm, 1914-17 with star, 1914-17 silverplated, 1914-18 four palms two stars

Middle row french production variants 1939

Top row North Africa production (wrong ribbon), the so called "Corps expeditionnaire en Italie" production (2x), London model (2x) and a "flatback" variant.

We must be careful though with these "local" manufactures, there is as yet no concensus amongst collector's as to where exactly which variant was produced.

Jan

Thanks. Forgot I also had this modern US version of the CdG tucked away somewhere: