News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The French Collection

Hauptmann

• Replies 201
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

g_deploige,

Great set of medals. I love the Medaille Militaire's with the solid reverses :jumping: Quality awards :beer:

still trying to sort out the use of these fourrag?res (proper English plural?) on the MEDALS

Hello Ed,

I think (and it is indeed only an assumption of mine) that, as the fourrag?re is a unit distinction worn on the uniform, veterans use these mini-fourrag?res once they're out of the armed forces and in civilian clothing to show their having been awarded one. They are, of course, non-regulationary !

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Ed,

I think (and it is indeed only an assumption of mine) that, as the fourrag?re is a unit distinction worn on the uniform, veterans use these mini-fourrag?res once they're out of the armed forces and in civilian clothing to show their having been awarded one. They are, of course, non-regulationary !

Cheers,

Hendrik

Thanks, Hendrik. That too, is my sense. That they have a legitimate "unit" place on the uniform and that their presence on the medals is an unofficial augmentation. (Actually, that Wikipedia piece isn't bad!) But they are pretty, though. Ed

More enamel for Dan : a Knight's class of the Order of Agricultural Merit

[attachmentid=35123]

Hi Hendrik,

Well, thank you! I deeply appreciate that. :D It's a beaut too. :love: In fact I've seen a few of those on Ebay and have been tempted. Perhaps now I'll have to go for one at some point. I think it would be a nice addition to the set. And I definitely want a Legion of Honor at some point.

Many thanks for thinking of me and my enamel obsession. :cheers::jumping:

Dan

And now for some military enamel : Order of the Combattant Merit (for lack of a better translation of "Ordre du M?rite Combattant").

[attachmentid=35124]

Oooooooh! Now I don't know why but that one strikes me even more! :love::love::jumping::jumping: I really love the ribbon design and colors with that particular medal design. Will definitely have to keep my eye out for that out.

Ya'll are going to have to send me a rough list of pricing on these cause if I go hunting now it's like a guy going in with one shell in the chamber knowing there are like a gazillion big cats just waiting for dinner. :P

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Guess these will make Jan's eyes go all watery :P

[attachmentid=35111]

They brought tears to my eyes, sheer poetry, I can almost smell the perfumes of the Sahara :D

Edited by vatjan

...and a bit more enamel for Dan :P : Commander of the Order of Social Merit

[attachmentid=35120]

Hi Hendrik,

What's this ribbon ? It is not the correct one for the Ordre du M?rite Social. looks like a king size version of the CdG des TOE... :blush:

Cheers.

Ch.

What's this ribbon ? It is not the correct one for the Ordre du M?rite Social. looks like a king size version of the CdG des TOE... :blush:

Christophe,

Well spotted !!! It is indeed not the correct ribbon but one that has blue (and a lighter shade at that) and red inverted and I've been puzzled by it myself. I gave up on identifying it after not finding it among the French colonial awards. My best guess is that it might belong to a non-official veterans' society award but I'm clueless on those.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Nice. Is any research possible on these "epidemics" medals (in all their various types)?

M?daille d'Honneur des Epid?mies

Created on 31 March 1885 and originally awarded by the Ministry of Commerce (Hygiene Dept.). Later the responsability for this medal's attribution changed quite a number of times or was shared with other ministries which lead to the following types, in chronological order :-

Commerce

Int?rieur

Hygi?ne

Sant? Publique

Guerre

Alg?rie (within the framework of the Ministry of the Interior)

Marine

Colonies

France d'Outre Mer (= type replacing the previous, colonial, one)

and, finally, the present type as awarded by the Ministry of Health (Sant?)

The medal is, of course, designated to reward those that rendered distinguished services during epidemics and was created following a cholera epidemic in 1884. Other important epidemics casualtywise had to be combatted in 1892-93 (cholera), 1893 and 1908 (typhus) and there was also the widespread flu epidemic at the close of WWI (1918-19).

Source : Guide des Ordres Civils fran?ais et ?trangers, des m?dailles d'honneur et des m?dailles de soci?t? - Author : Andr? Souyris-Rolland

Edited by Hendrik