News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Information on Bayonet Type Knife

Looks to be of a type commonly referred to as a Midshipmans Dirk for Naval Service and can be quite valuable depending on age and attribution, are there any marks on the blade or indication of where it was made?

Simon.

As Coldstream says, a Middie's dirk, which were used by many if not most European navies, so country or origin and period - anywhere from 1750 -1914, I think, will be the key to discovering its value.  The British, Japanese, Americans, Russians and Germans all used an 'ivory' hilted dirks or swords in some periods and, as Naval officer's appointments were private purchase.  Moreover, the 1796 RN sword had a '5 ball' hilt - see below - which looks very like this one, so it may well be RN.  

5 ball.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi Stump, I wholly concur with the opinion given by both Simon and Peter and would only add that as a usually private purchase item, without a manufacturer's name or logo, these daggers are very hard to 100% identify but good look in trying!!

Cheers Michael