News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bullion cap badge inquiry

Hello All,

Kindly have a look at the front and back photos of a presumed cap insignia nicely made in bullion thread, about which I have had no luck in identifying. I naturally thought the "R" stood for reserve. My old Rosignoli book on WW 2 badges and insignia does not mention it. Dimensions are: height 2 15/16" and width 3 9/16". I'm sure someone here will know what it is and when it was used. Thanks for looking.

Frank D.

GB cap insignia officer.jpg

GB cap insignia officer rev.jpg

Hello, Strange one, appears as a Royal Navy officers cap badge, but It lacks the anchor into the oval . Officers of the RNVR and the RNR both weared the anchor , and surmounted with the letters RNR or RNVR , 

15 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello, Strange one, appears as a Royal Navy officers cap badge, but It lacks the anchor into the oval . Officers of the RNVR and the RNR both weared the anchor , and surmounted with the letters RNR or RNVR , 

I wonder it may be a "fashion" item? 

Dave. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

• 1 year later...

Hi, The badge is very attractive and well made. Other than the central device, the letter "R", it conforms precicely with the pre 1953 RN officer pattern cap badge and I would suggest, not a fashion item. I have a number of shipping line officer's cap badges in my own collection and several are ensigned by either the "Kings" or "Queens" crown rather the usual Merchant Navy "Navaliis Corona" style crown.  The letter "R" is most likely to be the initial of the line's title or founder etc. Although I have not encountered this particular badge before, I feel pretty certain that it is a good badge of nautical origin. Although not proof, I hope that my input is of help.

Cheers Michael

PS, I will have a look through my references on Merchant Navy Flag and funnel logos to try and ID it for you.