Sign in to follow this  
cdavid87

Thoughts on Austro-Hungarian Field Cap

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this cap. Thank You in advance!

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

A very good example of the Austro Hungarian M1908 Feldkappe in Pike Grey colour. appears as without use . the peak has a leather made rim ,this was a feature of Officers and senior NCOs Field caps . but your cap bears the rosette, for troopers and NCOs. Rosette not cockade , with the Cypher of Emperor Franz Josef I. The cap belonged to a Common Army or Austrian Landwehr unit. the Hungarian Honved rosette bears the Cypher  1 FJ . the two segments of cord on the left side were to fix the Feldzeichen , Field sign . a branch of oak in summer and a fir twig in winter.

Unfortunately, I strongly believe that this cap is a fake. While it certainly seems to look old, there are too many errors in construction that can't be explained away. I can see that maybe the original untrimmed peak may have been replaced some time by this trimmed peak, however, I can see no reason why the sweatband would be replaced. Original sweatbands were machine sewn to both the lining on the top edge and the cap body on the bottom edge. In addition, the stamps make no sense. Where would not be an inspector stamp (SL) without the inspection depot stamp and date showing final approval.

The cap looks good on the surface, but I am convinced it is a fake.

Hello bcalkins , If a fake,  it was carefully made by someone with good knowledge of the matter . But its something that a faker rarely take in account and is the Cloth . is possible to determine if the cloth has 100 years or is a today one. perhaps the cap is a reenactement uniform item .manufactured in Eastern Europe ,from the Czech Republic to Romania , including Poland