News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finnish medals for merits in sport and physical activity

Hello!

Here are my little collection of sports medals from Finland. Not really military but maybe someone finds them interesting anyway. 

They are quite often mounted on finnish medalbars from after the war. 

The only cross I still need for my collection is a 1983 type grand cross. So if anyone know of one for sale I am definitly interested!

The grandcross 1945 type is only awarded 29 times if I remember right. Unfortunately I don´t have a name for the recipient of my cross. 

P1030277.JPG

P1030282.JPG

Edited by JohanH
    -

As far as I know they are awarded to people who made great achivements in sports or physical education in Finland. 

The following information is from E.F. Wrede's Finlands Utmärkelsetecken.

The grand cross are awarded to the especially sucessful leaders or sportsmen. It´s only awarded to Finnish citizens and only 12 living recipients are allowed. One third of the 12 can be active sportsmen or women. 

Gold order order are awarded for 20-25 years of service in the field of sports. Also foreign recpients are allowed, but only top athletes like winners of the olympic games, world champions and similar. 

Silver order are awarded for long service in the field of sports or other sport achivements. Foreign recipients that are top athletes in their country or higher. 

Medal with gold cross are awarded to leading people in a sportsdistrict, sport organisations or similar. Athletes that are district champions or higher. 

Silver medal, same as silver medal with gold cross. But the one with gold cross are for extra meritous achivements. 

Bronze medal was awarded to sports officials for long service or active sportsmen. 

The 1945 version has the text "Urheilu Isänmaa" on the back and the 1983 version has the text "Urheilu Liikunta"