News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fürstlicher Hausorden von Hohenzollern

Dear fellow forumites,

I was lucky today and I managed to buy a lovely photograph of a German Oberst (colonel) from 1940, I will post it in this thread once I'm able to make a proper picture. He is wearing a medalbar with a EK2, HE3x, FEK, and an unknown medal (for the moment, I will dive in to find out what it is). I was wondering how many Princely House Orders of Hohenzollern 3rd class with swords were awarded during the first world war, would anyone be able to help me with this?

Kind regards, and thanks in advance, Laurentius

Thanks for your help Nicolas. Assuming he has received the silver version of the medal (due to his rank) he would be one of only 300 recipients. That's lovely news. I initially bought the picture because of the fact that he is a WW2 officer wearing a House Order from WW1, but this medal makes it even more interesting.

Kind regards, Laurentius

• 1 month later...
    On 06/07/2019 at 13:22, 1812 Overture said:

How much is this about, get the conditions, do you know?

It's just a commemorative medal instituted on the occasion of the 100th birthday of late Prince Karl Anton in three grades - gold [silver gilt], silver and bronze - by his grandson, Prince Wilhelm.

You can find some additional information on this medal, unfortunately in German only, at Arco's site:

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/goldene-erinnerungsmedaille-an-furst-carl-anton.html

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/silberne-erinnerungsmedaille-an-furst-carl-anton.html

Now that's a lovely bar, ATIK. Thanks for sharing it with us!

:o

1 hour ago, ATIK said:

Nice bar!  Is this combination of awards uncommon? Could the recipient be identifiable?

The combination hints to an officer in Füsilier-Regiment „Fürst Karl Anton von Hohenzollern“ (Hohenzollernsches) Nr. 40, whose honorary chief the Prince of Hohenzollern was. Despite being a non-Baden unit, it was part of the XIV. Armee-Korps and located in Rastatt, a Baden city. While the combination (and both Hohenzollern awards, on their own) are scarce, I'm sure there was a handful Leutnants and Oberleutnants with exactly this combination of awards.

Edited by saschaw