News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2nd Lieut W.G. Butteriss, MC, MM

Hello all

I would like to share my newest group of medals, misfortunately it is a broken group (Missing the BWM, VM, Order of St Amma 3rd class with swords)

The group is to Lieutenant Walter George Butteriss, MC, MM

He enlisted in the Army on 5.9.1914 and joined A Company 8th Battalion The Leicestershire Regiment.

On 7.11.1914 he was promoted Lance Corporal, and with 8th Bn he entered France on 29.7.1915.

He was awarded the Military Medal for his part in the attack on Gueudecourt on 25/26.9.1916 (L. G. 6.1.1917, page 344). This would have possibly been for actions for “Grid Trench”

He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on the 29.7.1918 and return to the regiment. He was later posted to the 13th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment and departed for Russia on the 16.10.1918, arriving to Murmansk 27.11.1918.

He was awarded the Military Cross for actions near Bolshie Ozerki (L.G. 15.07.1919), citation attached to this tread

He was also awarded the Russian Order of St Amma 3rd Class with swords on the 24.04.1919, which reported made his decorations combination unique (MC, MM, Order St Anna)

He the was commissioned on the General list in 1942 as a 2nd Lieut and ended up as a Major in the 6th (Quorn) Battalion, Leicestershire Home Guard 

He was a builder by trade as well as an accomplished sportsman playing for Leicestershire C.C. 2nd XI in the Minor Counties Championship in 1924, also coached Cricket at Melton Mowbray Grammar school (town of his birth) as well he played hockey for Leicestershire and Melton Mowbray as well rugby for Melton Mowbray

He was born in 1896 and died in 1966 

Caz

_DSC2380.JPG

_DSC2377.JPG

_DSC2376.JPG

IMG_20190702_0001.jpg

• 2 months later...
    15 hours ago, SillyOldGrandad said:

The 1939-1945 Star and 1939-1945 War Medal would indicate early overseas war service. Was he a Dunkirk veteran?. Just curious.   Pete.

That's interesting, I thought they were awarded for service any time between 1939 and 1945 (the Star being for overseas service). 

Cazack, a cracking group and hopefully the missing medals will turn up one day.

The qualifications for the 1939-45 War Medal are listed in Major Gordon's invaluable work as 'awarded to all full-time personnel of the armed forces wherever their service during the war was rendered.  Operational and non-operational service counted, providing that it was twenty-eight days service or more.'

OTOH, yes, the 1939-45 Star requires him to have served outside the UK.  Very interesting!

Ok, I did a quick search and found him as a temporary Captain in the Home Guard (assuming hg is the Army List abbreviation for Home Guard) in 1942.

I didn't find him in the casualty lists.

Attached is a page from the army list, he's in the first column, 10th from the bottom. I've no idea what the crossed swords or W.S./Lt. mean.

I also found him in the Grantham Journal 18/7/41 - Grantham v Egerton Park, WG Butteriss bowled out by Hill for 53.

At his father's funeral in April 42 he's a Major according to newspaper above.

S2_US_MCV_ARMY_ARMYLISTOCTPART121943GREA_0669.pdf

The reason I mentioned the 1939-1945 Star and War Medal was because there was no mention of him having seen full time service in WW2. The opening post only mentions Home Guard service which would only have merited the award of the Defence Medal. I therefore assumed he must have served full time early in WW2 and seen overseas service to qualify for those two medals. If not then he would not have been entitled to them.   Pete. 

On 25/09/2019 at 10:44, Tony said:

Attached is a page from the army list, he's in the first column, 10th from the bottom. I've no idea what the crossed swords or W.S./Lt. means.

Crossed swords indicates war service. Not restricted to just the Great War, but includes any of the small wars prior.

I'm going to take a guess and say W.S./Lt. stands for War Service Lieutenant meaning he received a commission for the duration of the War only.

Cheers, Dan.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all

thanks for the feedback and comments

I have also questioned the 1939/45 star but it came with the group so I take it he must have had entitlement some how. Over all this is still my favourite group for many reasons including the double gallantry awards as well the Russian award he was given, shame not with group 

regards

Caz

• 3 years later...
    • 3 months later...
    On 02/07/2019 at 18:53, cazack said:

Hello all

I would like to share my newest group of medals, misfortunately it is a broken group (Missing the BWM, VM, Order of St Amma 3rd class with swords)

The group is to Lieutenant Walter George Butteriss, MC, MM

He enlisted in the Army on 5.9.1914 and joined A Company 8th Battalion The Leicestershire Regiment.

On 7.11.1914 he was promoted Lance Corporal, and with 8th Bn he entered France on 29.7.1915.

He was awarded the Military Medal for his part in the attack on Gueudecourt on 25/26.9.1916 (L. G. 6.1.1917, page 344). This would have possibly been for actions for “Grid Trench”

He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on the 29.7.1918 and return to the regiment. He was later posted to the 13th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment and departed for Russia on the 16.10.1918, arriving to Murmansk 27.11.1918.

He was awarded the Military Cross for actions near Bolshie Ozerki (L.G. 15.07.1919), citation attached to this tread

He was also awarded the Russian Order of St Amma 3rd Class with swords on the 24.04.1919, which reported made his decorations combination unique (MC, MM, Order St Anna)

He the was commissioned on the General list in 1942 as a 2nd Lieut and ended up as a Major in the 6th (Quorn) Battalion, Leicestershire Home Guard 

He was a builder by trade as well as an accomplished sportsman playing for Leicestershire C.C. 2nd XI in the Minor Counties Championship in 1924, also coached Cricket at Melton Mowbray Grammar school (town of his birth) as well he played hockey for Leicestershire and Melton Mowbray as well rugby for Melton Mowbray

He was born in 1896 and died in 1966 

Caz

_DSC2380.JPG

_DSC2377.JPG

_DSC2376.JPG

IMG_20190702_0001.jpg

Hi Caz....if you still have this group then I have I formation you might find interesting. Please contact me on rsc0165@gmail.com 

Cheers,

Rich