Jump to content

Meet Rittmeister Oskar Freiherr Kress von Kressenstein - medal bars and documents


Recommended Posts

Dear forumites,

Here I would like to show you a nice complete group of an aristocratic Cavalry officer.

Decorations on the medal bar:

medaillen.JPG.2e76f7b037f0e68e2ff22dfe301ada38.JPG

Photographs:

1295659523_10erOrdensspangeOskarFrhrKressvonKressenstein.thumb.jpg.56333acdbb0e4cee2e9204e275c7e493.jpg

1847238609_10erOrdensspangeOskarFrhrKressvonKressenstein_rs.thumb.jpg.7288d502df5cdc98a63b22fe2a89b9b6.jpg

Documents (list):

Urkunden.JPG.11ab286c6c970ca206b9ba3ea700a54e.JPG
1567007643_Wappen2.png.ece032fbdd4105aa94d9e78943715000.png     Wappen.JPG.649f74f2dfef243b222eebf4f9e0e399.JPG

Familiengeschichte.JPG.f54d9b8bc79ffa32a1d0113dc1d65ba7.JPG

 

Claudio

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Laurentius.

Here I'm posting all the documents that the Bavarian State archives could find on him; they were extremely helpful and very efficient and sent me all these documents in PDF format on a CD.

There are some "Qualifikations-Bericht" that I can't read. Especially those of 1914 and 1913, same "shitty" hand writing... Maybe someone could help me?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Claudio

OP_11878_0001.jpg

OP_11878_0002.jpg

OP_11878_0003.jpg

OP_11878_0004.jpg

OP_11878_0005.jpg

OP_11878_0006.jpg

OP_11878_0007.jpg

OP_11878_0008.jpg

OP_11878_0009.jpg

OP_11878_0010.jpg

OP_11878_0011.jpg

OP_11878_0012.jpg

OP_11878_0013.jpg

OP_11878_0014.jpg

OP_11878_0015.jpg

OP_11878_0016.jpg

OP_11878_0017.jpg

OP_11878_0018.jpg

OP_11878_0019.jpg

OP_11878_0020.jpg

OP_11878_0021.jpg

OP_11878_0022.jpg

OP_11878_0023.jpg

OP_11878_0024.jpg

OP_11878_0025.jpg

OP_11878_0026.jpg

OP_11878_0027.jpg

OP_11878_0028.jpg

OP_11878_0029.jpg

Edited by Claudio
grammatical mistakes
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a really great Schnalle, Claudio, I especially like these with 'Foreigners' on them, and to a member of this famous family is even better. But I'm confused, this is not a Godet bar, so you should send it to me....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

That's a really great Schnalle, Claudio, I especially like these with 'Foreigners' on them, and to a member of this famous family is even better. But I'm confused, this is not a Godet bar, so you should send it to me....

Sure! You’re right.... 😉😂😂😂 No Godet this time... but I had to have it since I saw it already on Thies auction in 2006, coming from the famous Seymour’s collection...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful bar Claudio!  But I especially like that you have the gentleman's significant career dates with battle history and award dates.  I sympathize with the "Qualifikations-Bericht".  I don't know what it is suppose to communicate.  It almost looks like a letter...to outline his qualifications to the promotions personnel? 

Might have to send those pages to a devoted Sutterlin translator. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Claudio,

Congratulations on owning this fantastic group.

I once had the pleasure of seeing George Seymour's collection before he passed away.  He was a very nice gentleman with one of the best collections this side of the Atlantic.

I have recently seen the items for Franz Kress von Kressenstein that came onto the market.  I purchased one item that was family-related.  It is interesting how these family items come onto the market from time to time.

MfG,

Edited by Schießplatzmeister
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Claudius said:

...  I sympathize with the "Qualifikations-Bericht".  I don't know what it is suppose to communicate.  It almost looks like a letter...to outline his qualifications to the promotions personnel?

The advancement in the German armies follows the principle of seniority and capability. The seniority was well-defined by the date of enlistment as an officer in the army. The capability for the next higher level of rank was judged by the commander of an officer. From the beginning of the 19th century the German armies developed specific regulations who, when and with what content these Qualifkationsberichte had to issue.

For more information about this complex theme I can recommend the book Untersuchungen zur Geschichte des Offizierskorps / Anciennität und Beförderung nach Leistung, Stuttgart 1962.

Regards, Komtur.

Edited by Komtur
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Great medalbar Claudio,

as you may know the later Duke Ernst August of Brunswick served in the bavarian regiment 1. Kgl Schweren Reiter. When he climbed the throne in Brunswick in 1913 he awarded many orders to former comrades of this regiment on the ocasion of the 100 years jubilee of that regiment.

Oskar and Franz Kress von Kressenstein, I believe that they were brothers both served in this regiment and both got the 4th class of the Henry the Lion order.

 

 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2019 at 10:45, Claudio said:

Thanks Laurentius.

Here I'm posting all the documents that the Bavarian State archives could find on him; they were extremely helpful and very efficient and sent me all these documents in PDF format on a CD.

There are some "Qualifikations-Bericht" that I can't read. Especially those of 1914 and 1913, same "shitty" hand writing... Maybe someone could help me?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Claudio

OP_11878_0001.jpg

OP_11878_0002.jpg

OP_11878_0003.jpg

OP_11878_0004.jpg

OP_11878_0005.jpg

OP_11878_0006.jpg

OP_11878_0007.jpg

OP_11878_0008.jpg

OP_11878_0009.jpg

OP_11878_0010.jpg

OP_11878_0011.jpg

OP_11878_0012.jpg

OP_11878_0013.jpg

OP_11878_0014.jpg

OP_11878_0015.jpg

OP_11878_0016.jpg

OP_11878_0017.jpg

OP_11878_0018.jpg

OP_11878_0019.jpg

OP_11878_0020.jpg

OP_11878_0021.jpg

OP_11878_0022.jpg

OP_11878_0023.jpg

OP_11878_0024.jpg

OP_11878_0025.jpg

OP_11878_0026.jpg

OP_11878_0027.jpg

OP_11878_0028.jpg

OP_11878_0029.jpg

Did you already get the texts transcribed? If not, send me a DM and I can see what I can do

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Blog Comments

    • Sounds great other than the Orange & Mango squash only because I prefer cran-pomegranate juice.
    • "(...) disgusting herbal concoction (...)" I took note of this description, to enrich my otherwise limited, English "Wortschatz"...
    • At work the standard indian tea such as PG tips is referred to as chimp tea. This goes back to the days when we had a Spanish girl working for us whose command of the English language was extremely limited. One lunch she said she was going to the shop could she get anything. I asked if she could get a pack of tea bags. She returned with some disgusting herbal concoction. I tried to explain what was required but without success. I then remembered PG tips had a picture of a chimpanzee on the packe
    • When I read Lapsang Souchong i decided to post something about these Tea . Many years ago I dont  know about Lapsang until I read James Michener book Centennial and the description of the savour of the Lapasang as a mix of tar and salt & smoked made me proof . It was exact ! and i liked it since then .
    • I have been known to drink Lapsang Souchong and Tea, Earl Grey, Hot... both "without pollutants". I normally have one mug of coffee in the morning, then spend the rest of the day drinking Orange & Mango squash (by the pint). Then evening comes and it's a pint, followed by red wine with dinner and sometimes a drop of Laphroaig afterwards.
×
×
  • Create New...