News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greece-Commemorative Medal of the war 1940-1941

Gentlemen,

In researching this medal I often saw a reference to a lighter coloured medal and a darker coloured medal.  A couple of days ago I added one of the darker coloured medals to my collection and when comparing the two medals it became obvious that they were not produced using the same dies.  The first thing to catch my eye was the different attachment point for the suspension ring.  They are quite different in design.  My first though was that there were two different manufacturers of these medals.  Or perhaps one manufacturer with two sets of dies.  Can any one shed some light on the number of manufacturers/ dies etc. and time period for each medal?

Regards,

Gordon

DSC09425.JPG

DSC09427.JPG

DSC09430.JPG

DSC09432.JPG

• 6 months later...

There were at least 5 different varieties, of different manufacturers.

The right one is considered an earlier version. The left one was made by the greek army factory. Both are originals, often found in greek medal bars.