News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mounting of British medals

As I mentioned on several other threads on this forum I have medal collections from South Africa, UK and the US,

We are in the process of moving and once the dust settles I want to mount each collection according to the relevant military specifications. In the case of South African medals I have been very reliable informed that full-size medals should be mounted in such a way that the total distance from the top of the ribbon to the bottom of the medal itself is exactly 10 centimeters while with miniatures it is 5 centimeters. The effect then is that the top of all the ribbons and bottom of the medals forms a level horizontal line.

Does anyone perhaps know what the prescribed length of the ''drop'' is for British medals, both full size and miniatures?

Alex,

Thanks for the link. If I understand correctly there's no stipulated length (since, as the site mentioned) ribbons of various medals vary in length. The over-riding concern seems to be that the top of the ribbons and the bottom of the medals should both form a straight horizontal line and if the ribbons are a few millimeters longer than usual the soldier/veteran involved isn't going to get court-martialled for sloppiness.

To be honest I vaguely remember seeing and reading somewhere that medal ribbons for the navy are generally longer than for the army, other details you mention being correct, a figure of 4 inches (10cm) length for navy seems to ring a bell, can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, though, I'll have a good root around on my hard-drive just in-case I kept it

regards

Alex

edit found this, part extract army regulations 2012

extract.JPG

Edited by Alex K