Sign in to follow this  
love4history

Finland Order of the White Rose to Belgian diplomat

Hello gents

Just acquired a group to a Belgian diplomat with a number of foreign awards. One of them is this Order of the White Rose. I could use some help to determine the degree of the award and the time period (if at all possible?).

Thanks for the help

Best regards

l4h

DSC_0412-min.jpg

Commander grade most likely [if there's a star with it then First Class Commander]...send image of hall marks as these may help determine period.   Probably inter World Wars issue.

I can distinguish two: a crown and a second symbol that looks like : | : |   or are the two dots the numeral 8 or 3? Hard to tell if you have no idea what they might be. WIll try to make close-ups of the hallmarks

The Hallmark 813H is often seen on finnish silver. The year stamp should be a letter followed by a number. 

You could try to contact the office of the order and ask if they can look in the archives for your guy. 

Email: info(at)ritarikunnat.fi

Thank you. Here's a picture of the gentleman with what I think is his White Rose Order in wear (among others)

19002_889_2.jpg

Here is a table showing the Numbers of white rose orders awarded to foreigners (non finnish) between 1919-1944. 

Stk med kedja = grand cross with collar

Stk = grand cross

K1 = commander 1st class

K = commander

R1 = knight 1st class

R = knight

tecknet i silver = award of merit

sammanlagt = total 

since you don’t seem to have a breast star, I guess it is a commander class you have.

A237D88A-CBBF-47C1-AD64-7ECE298653DE.jpeg

Thank you JohanH! :thumbup:

In his paperwork I have found one letter addressed to him as consul in Helsingfjors in 1925. I guess the award will have been made around that time. (this also coincides with a peak in the awards as visible in the table you provided). Going to write to the email-address you provided to see if they have more details.

Details on the maker marks posted later today.

Here's an attempt to show the MM. Besides the crown and the 813H I don't see a "yearmark". Have written to the secretariat to ask for more info. If they come up with something I'll let you know!

rsz_dsc_0416.jpg