News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK 1 maker

Good Evening Gentlemen, 

I am hoping someone can assist me in identifying the maker of this iron cross I recently purchased. It is only marked 800 silver, and I've seen an older thread that identified a similar set-up  the type as 1920's manufacture. However, after looking through the GMIC sit a could not find a similar cross.

Thank you 

Chuck 

Iron Cross 1 Class obverse.jpg

Iron Cross 1 Class reverse.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I believe a found the same core coss marked as wagner and son on sale from weitze.

can anyone tell me if wagner made crosses without a makers mark??

https://www.weitze.com/militaria/89/Preussen_Eisernes_Kreuz_1914_1_Klasse__351889.html

regards, 

chuck 

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

The problem with the attribution of unmarked 1914 crosses is many different makers used generic cores that were made by one of them or even a third party supplier. Few makers of EKs had their own, exclusive cores. With an additional swapping of frames by some makers (or rather "makers"?), it's sometimes just impossible to keep unmarked crosses apart. Enjoy this cross for what it is: a nice and unusual, authentic 1st class - but probably not attributable to any certain firm.

Edited by saschaw

Saschaw, 

Thank you very much for enlightening me on this subject. I was not aware that many of the manufacturing firms sold their cores to other company or jewelers to be put together. I am happy with the cross and it goes will with my pinback Godet.

if I could trouble you do you have any comment on when this type of backing set-up may have been introduced and sold on the market??

sincerely

chuck 

On 03/01/2020 at 16:16, chuck said:

if I could trouble you do you have any comment on when this type of backing set-up may have been introduced and sold on the market??

I honestly don't know, maybe one of the EK gurus has an idea. I could well imagine, however, these did come up still in the "Great War" era, and not necessarily afterwards. But, as said, I don't know for sure. My focus always was on award types, not on these fancy private purchase pieces.

Edited by saschaw

Iron Cross Guru if you don't mind the name.

can anyone comment on when these screw back type cross came on to the market? I have seen the same type in other state awards such as Oldenburg FA 1st class, and considered buying the piece as a postwar cross to add next to the official awards type. 

Regards, 

Chuck

I think we are too stringent with a "WW1" and "post WW1" label....

If someone was making a certain sexy crewback in 1917... and 1918.... there is no reason to think he would not continue to make the same in 1926 ... or even on towards 1936 when uniforms were all the mode again....

sometimes a company with a good product makes it for years, in war and peace

As far as the certificate of authenticity goes, it may very well have been for the navy officer, but he may have served into the 20s or 30s. so it is no indicator

Gentlemen, 

Thank you all for your comments. if I understand the production of such a cross could have taken place during the later period of the war 1917/18 or sometime after the war. I am happy with the piece and it goes well with my small collection of 3 crosses which I would like to post shortly.

regards, 

chuck 

• 2 weeks later...