News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lieutenant-Colonel William Bernard Ainslie - Order of the Bath

14 hours ago, QSAMIKE said:

Very nice display, I wonder where the full size medals are located...…    Mike

In smaller frames :)

This one came with the one that included Sardinian and Turkish full size medals.

• 1 year later...

Hey I was curious as to where you acquired the medals? I believe they may have been in my possession in that William Bernard Ainslie is my ancestor. I have some other items that are far more interesting and valuable. I would love to get together and play show and tell

• 2 months later...
    On 04/05/2021 at 10:00, A.R. Kay said:

Hey I was curious as to where you acquired the medals? I believe they may have been in my possession in that William Bernard Ainslie is my ancestor. I have some other items that are far more interesting and valuable. I would love to get together and play show and tell

English isn't my native language, can you please explain what do you mean by: "I believe they may have been in my possession"? Can you also please state what other items that are far more interesting and valuable do you have? What can be more valuable than attributed award group of officially inscribed awards? Of cuorse my question refers to military awards as this is the topic of this thread?

• peter monahan changed the title to Lieutenant-Colonel William Bernard Ainslie - Order of the Bath
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 09/07/2021 at 15:20, artemii said:

English isn't my native language, can you please explain what do you mean by: "I believe they may have been in my possession"? Can you also please state what other items that are far more interesting and valuable do you have? What can be more valuable than attributed award group of officially inscribed awards? Of cuorse my question refers to military awards as this is the topic of this thread?

Artemii 'I believe they may have been in my possession' implies that the writer DID have them at one point but subsequently lost, gave away or sold them and so does not have them now.  Which only makes sense.

As to what might be more valuable... ask any non-collector of medals and the answer might be anything from a photo of the original owner of the medals to letters and diaries to... almost anything related to the person.  

I hope this helps and, that if you are inclined to contact A. R. Kay that you have an enjoyable exchange.  :)

Peter

• 3 months later...

Since I'm receiving messages that his awards are currently for sale on Bostock Medals, two of them, I would like to mention that the group in this topic was bought at Cowan's auction.

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/crimean-war-medals-including-british-order-of-the-bath-3945566

When I bought them, I had no idea to whom they were belonged. Only after opening the smaller frame to see if the Sardinian medal has a name I found out that it inscribed with his name. 

Trying to find more information, I came across other items that were sold on the same auction during previous years.

His uniform was sold in 2005:

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/crimean-war-uniform-19064

Letters and other documents in 2016:

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/lieutenant-colonel-william-b-ainslie-93rd-sutherland-highlanders-the-thin-red-line-of-the-crimean-war-papers-181703

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/the-carter-and-ainslie-family-papers-181749

I have no doubt that all the items were sold by one of the decendants of the Ainslie family who lives in US.

I have is a question though regarding the pair that is currently for sale on Bostock Medals, why will highly decorated officer will have the clasp with only two awards, when only for Crimean war he had five of them?