Dear members,

I would like to collect any information about Hugo Meurer, especially his awards. Was he awarded the OK2 and the MMV?

I also heard, that his medal bar is still existing. A photo of it would be great!

Reason is this ribbon bar, which I could luckily acquire a few days ago. It came to me identified and I can confirm every award for Meurer except the OK2 and the MMV. 

All the Best,

Nicolas

11.png

02.png

Edited by Nicolas7507

Hello,

I have been a visitor to this forum for several years and I finally decided to register.  I have certainly learned a great deal reading the posts.  

The Ranglist of the Imperial Navy from February 1918 shows an FA Cross 2nd Class awarded to Meurer but nothing from Mecklenburg.

A colleague of mine let me download a spreadsheet entitled Seeoffiziere. I was told that a person named Marcus Bobo/Bodo? compiled this information.  His spreadsheet does not show the FA2 next to Meurer's name.  This is actually the third time I discovered an Oldenburg award not listed on this spreadsheet when it should have been.  

@FAR32, It should not.

Marcus did list whatever was published in the Marineverordnungsblatt.

If an award was too late awarded to be published anymore, it is not in.

From my experience, most of the awards to navy guys after mid1918 were not gazetted anymore.

@Nicolas,

Nice find! Glückwunsch!

You were a bit faster than me 🙂

His Mecklenburg cross is confirmed. It is listed in the Schwerin archive.

viele Grüße 

Daniel 

6 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

@FAR32, It should not.

Marcus did list whatever was published in the Marineverordnungsblatt.

If an award was too late awarded to be published anymore, it is not in.

From my experience, most of the awards to navy guys after mid1918 were not gazetted anymore.

@Daniel Krause:

So Marcus's spreadsheet includes awards published exclusively in the official imperial naval gazettes, but not from any other sources like the Ranglist.  I didn't know that. 

It's too bad that the spreadsheet is a locked document, because it would be nice to be able to manually add awards that are missing, such as, for example, the two awards for Meurer we just found out about.  

• 10 months later...
On 18/09/2019 at 14:14, Nicolas7507 said:

It came to me identified and I can confirm every award for Meurer except the OK2 and the MMV.

Hello Nicolas. How did you confirm the China-Denkmünze for Meurer? And what class is it? Bronze or Stahl?

On 18/09/2019 at 22:06, Daniel Krause said:

His Mecklenburg cross is confirmed. It is listed in the Schwerin archive.

Daniel, you said the MMV is confirmed in the Schwerin archive. Was Meurer awarded only the 2nd Class or also the 1st Class?

On 18/09/2019 at 20:42, P.F. said:

Is that the OFA1 he is wearing here with the EK1? It's hard to tell.

I agree with you Pierce, it's definately the OFA1.

Here is a little better quality photo on which you can see the OFA1 in the bottom left corner.

Felix_von_Luckner.jpg

Thank you very much for the link, KM Admiral.  I notice that Paul Chepurko has offered this document for the benefit of the forum.  I saw his catalog of reference material available on CDs and he has just about everything you could imagine !!  Simi 

On 18/09/2019 at 14:14, Nicolas7507 said:

It came to me identified and I can confirm every award for Meurer except the OK2 and the MMV. 

Can you please tell me how did you confirm the China-Denkmünze for Meurer? And what class is it? Bronze or Stahl?

23 minutes ago, JohanH said:

Photo from Jani Tiainens book abou finnish medals and orders. 

Thank you Johan! Are the last two medals the Finnish Silver Medal for Bravery and the Finnish Commemorative Medal of the "War of Liberation"?

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral
46 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thank you Johan! Are the last two medals the Finnish Silver Medal for Bravery and the Finnish Commemorative Medal of the "War of Liberation"?

Yes, you are absolutely correct. 

It´s the 1st class medal of the order of Liberty (Vapaudenmitali) and the last one is the commemorative medal from the liberation war (Vapaussodan muistomitali). 

The 1st class cross is the variant with brilliants, I believe only two such pieces was awarded in 1918.