Sign in to follow this  
Ulsterman

A question for Glenn ( and other gnomes)

I have been skimming a regimental history or two recently following Von Clausewitz’s career. In it I noticed that 1813-15 EK2 awards were categorized as “ awarded” and “ “ awarded/ held by inheritance”. Am I correct in supposing that this means the actual summary lists of the EK2 were correlated by the medals’ actual, “ where is it niw” status and noted at the  War Ministry? 

Dear Ulsterman,

I recently bought a painting of a Napoleonic veteran which was accompanied by the list of EK2 1813 awardees. A number of them would receive an EK2 once a veteran who held one would die, this was to releave the Ordenskanzlei of costs. Once I'm back at home I'll have a look for you.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Thanks. I thought that was the case as I recall there were more awards than  actual medals. However, I found it odd that regimental histories segregated them thusly. I suppose that “ by inheritance” means “ still awaiting my medal” .

Geoff,

as can be seen from this extract from the 19 February 1820 edition of the "Militair-Wochenblatt", awards of deceased holders of the Iron Cross were further awarded to deserving recipients. So for example as shown here, the award of the deceased Sek.-Lt. von Wischetzki went to Sek.-Lt. Weiland, that of  Sek.-Lt. Promnitz to  Sek.-Lt.von Below and that of Rittmeister von Kriegsheim to Major von Zieten.

Regards

Glenn

EK2.jpg