News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please Help: German M34 "Pony Fur" Tornister Backpack RADBAF??

Hello hello!

I have a German M34 "Pony Fur" Tornister backpack and it has "6 37 RADBAF" stamped on the inside (as shown in the attached picture). I've done some digging and I have been informed that ^ 37 is probably the issue date or manufacture date, RAD stands for "Reich Labour Service" and that BA could stand for Department of Clothing but what would that make the F? Or is the entire acronym "BAF"? In that case what does BAF stand for? 

Is it possible RADBAF  stands for Reichsarbeitsdienst Bekleibungsamt Feldbrauchbar ( Reich Labour Service Department of Clothing Field Serviceable)??? 

It has some writing on it as well, "Reinhild" and "Aderhold" as well as "Tisher" and "Gefristraub"? I know that the first three are potential last names, and would that mean that this backpack passed through several soldiers or? Also "Gefristraub" I'm unsure if it's Gefristrub or Gesristraub or something else, as it's scratched into the leather and hard to see. 

I just found a white tag on the inside (I've attached another picture), could anyone tell me what this would mean?? 

Any information would be great! Thanks! (Also ignore my thumb I just got my fingernails tattooed haha) 

german bag collage.jpg

Edited by taylorcoates

• 2 months later...

Hello, sorry I am late to the party, RADBA stands for the "Reichsarbeitsdienst Bekleidung" or clothing issuance point, the abbreviations after are the locations,

Bn= Berlin  Br= Braunschweig   Fu= Furth  Ma= Marburg  Sa= Salzburg   E= Efurt  

F= Frankfurt  M/L= Metz/Lothringen, there may be others as well. The tag is for who the Tornister belonged to during his service and location, based on your tag it looks like 5/321 which is GAU XXXII Abt. 5/321 Fehringen. Upon completing service the pack was turned in and then reissued to a new recruit, I do not know when the personal tags started ow was ended.

008.jpg