Sign in to follow this  
FAR 32

A Ribbon Bar: What am I not understanding here?

Hello,

I am pretty sure it was NOT Hermann Goering's ribbon bar being auctioned at Benemerenti today, but judging by the hammer price, it may as well have been.

The final price with the buyer's premium:  3,360 Euros (or 3,680 USD) 

What puzzles me even more than the price it sold for are the 3 Long Service awards on the bar:  25-years of service with the Police, and then 24 years of service in the Air Force. I'm not discounting that fact that somebody who started serving with the police in 1890 might decide to join one of the branches of the imperial air forces in 1915 and continue serving through 1939 (the final year that Long Service awards were given out.)  I'm simply saying it is hard to imagine such a scenario because the person would have had to have been in his late 60's or early 70's.

The two rows of ribbons are also mounted on a strange clasp-device that almost looks like the ones the BW used after 1957.

If I have some time later on, I might browse the directory of Luftwaffe generals on Axis Biographical Research to see if anybody (non-fictional) may have had this award-combo.       

LW Ribbon Bar.jpg

Edited by FAR 32

My thoughts also, huge amount for a weird looking bar... I did a quick look through the Generalobersts and GFMs of the Luftwaffe but there's no match among those, maybe in the lower ranks or the police...

Edited by drspeck

In my opinion not an original bar. No idea, why someone would spend 3300€ on this...

Edited by Nicolas7507