Utgardloki

Militär-St.-Heinrichs-Orden grand cross around neck

From my area of collecting:

Recipients of the Danish Order of the Elephant who were also awarded the GC of the Danish Order of Dannebrog were required to wear the latter around the neck (on a neck ribbon).

I would assume they would also wear the Dannebrog GC Star to distinguish it from a Commander 2nd class decoration - at least after the insignias of the GC and Commander became identical.

Since the sash of the Elephant Order is worn from left shoulder to right hip and the Dannebrog from right shoulder to left hip, it also makes sense not to tempt some recipient with a lack of style sense to wear both sashes at the same time. Not many were awarded both decorations, but it only takes one to make it look ridiculous... 🤣

Is Kaiser Franz Josef in this photograph wearing a red eagle grandcross badge around his neck?

Ãsterreich Postkarte Kaiser

1 hour ago, Utgardloki said:

Is Kaiser Franz Josef in this photograph wearing a red eagle grandcross badge around his neck? ...

This portrait is very interesting indeed. Emperor Franz Joseph I. seems to wear to his uniform of a Prussian general only his Prussian Orders. These are the Black Eagle and the Royal Housorder Großkomtur. With the Order of the Black Eagle was since 1810 always going the 1st class of the Red Eagle Order and after creation of the Grand Cross in 1861 this highest class of the Red Eagle Order. These had to be worn for a knight of the Black Eagle Order always as neck decorations. Even if this picture was defenitely made after 1861, the Austrian emperor is there wearing his in 1844 awarded Black Eagle Order sash, star and the to this decoration belonging 1st class of the Red Eagle Order around the neck.

Ah sure... it's the first class not grand cross... I haven't thought about that, interesting that he (or his staff) didn't update

Another one: (tagged with 1889)

09ea4bc845afc801587597827a20fb82.jpg

And another one I found from a different perspective:

(Empfangskommitee für Kaiser Franz Joseph I. von Österreich, König von Ungarn: Kaiser Wilhelm II., König von Preußen mit Gefolge vor geschmücktem Eingang in Berlin, 12.08.1889, Bild 1 [Quelle: Hauptstaatsarchiv Stuttgart])

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Hauptstaatsarchiv_Stuttgart_M_703_R1809N7_Bild_1_(1-117251-1).thumb.jpg.25247bf2b00d4422b9a0b38c518bbf87.jpg

And another one:

(Nach Parade auf Tempelhofer Feld: Kaiser Wilhelm II., Kaiserin Auguste Viktoria (im Damensattel) mit Kaiser Franz Joseph I. von Österreich, letzterer in Ulanenuniform, begleitet von Dame und Offizieren durch Berlin reitend, am Strassenrand Zivilbevölkerg.)

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Hauptstaatsarchiv_Stuttgart_M_703_R953N28_Bild_1_(1-116914-1).thumb.jpg.ddf5a9c4ac3c316660554f9617bf2276.jpg

Another interesting St.-Henry piece is the chain or collar to the grand cross that was made for Albert in honor of his 50-years army jubilee

Here's a picture of a model:

df_hauptkatalog_0058387.jpg

King Albert wearing the chain:

Bildergebnis für könig albert von sachsen

Bildergebnis für könig albert von sachsen

Bildergebnis für könig albert von sachsen 1893

P%C3%B6rtrait_des_K%C3%B6nig_Albert_I_von_Sachsen.png

Does anyone know where the chain is now - or if it was lost?

2 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

I hope they're not storing this stuff at the Gruenes Gewoelbe.

😅

That's an interesting text about the 50-years military jubilee of King Albert:

(From: Monarchiejubiläen im 19. Jahrhundert, by Simone Mergen)

image.png.dbb5f5c01ce2b85bc64ad81514b451fb.png

image.png

image.png.bd24077564a95a812b996e21c6f3032b.png

image.png

Edited by Utgardloki

If the collar was a special gift from the officers, does that mean that this is the only collar ever made for this order?

It looks very unique, including the FM batons as a suspension.

15 hours ago, Great Dane said:

If the collar was a special gift from the officers, does that mean that this is the only collar ever made for this order?

It looks very unique, including the FM batons as a suspension.

Yes, I think so...

I read there was also a special grand cross for Wilhelm II, is that true?

I'd like to share with You some things I found during research:

1) The two previously shown "grand master crosses" side by side for easier comparison:

1.thumb.jpg.51a277d2d9661f585d478e86ea291ed4.jpg

Heinrich_2.thumb.jpg.f4010f873699d89d74d41f31bd1b8909.jpg

Heinrich_3.thumb.jpg.d015dfabaa47182bb080bc265becd9f9.jpg

2) Another picture of Friedrich August III wearing a grand masters cross

00000093.tif.large.jpg

3) Another picture of King Albert wearing the 1893 collar

00000085.tif.large.jpg

4) Another picture of what might be the "real" collar, not a model to it:

00000089.tif.large.jpg

5) Text about Albert getting the collar:

00000087.tif.large.jpg

I have still a few questions i couldn't find an answer:

1) Why are there at least two different grand master crosses? Where is the black-and-white-photograph-one today? (or was it lost/destroyed?)

2)Where is the chain/collar that King Albert received 1893 today? (or was it lost/destroyed?)

3) Did Kaiser Wilhelm II really receive a special grand cross? If yes, are there pictures of it and where is it today? (or was it lost/destroyed?)

I couldn't find a photograph where Wilhelm II is wearing his grand cross, if You know one feel free to share.

Edited by Utgardloki

To get back to the initial topic:

King Ludwig III of Bavaria wearing the grandcross(?) insignia of the Bavarian Military Merit Order around the neck on this well known photograph. I kinda feel a little bit embarrassed I never actually recognized how common it was to wear grand cross badges around the neck. (But I am a young collector, so I might be forgiven)

Ludwig III. König von Bayern : Nachrichtenfoto

I tried to find a picture of Duke Carl Eduard of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha wearing Claudios ribbon bar. Unfortunately I couldn't find one. I am still confident there has to be a picture of him wearing that bar (but maybe not on in internet)...

Nevertheless I saw a grandcross-badge-around-neck-picture of him, so i thought it would be a nice addition to this thread:

image.thumb.png.b87b4a5c2a09f11a1721cf9d2e88c115.png

Edited by Utgardloki