News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Special Irish Unit C.I.D. Scotland Yard 1883

Hi,

I have to be honest, this post refers to a medal I did not really appreciate and I was going to sell, on several occasions. The medal is the Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1887 and was awarded to ''PC Timothy Enright.''

Timothy Enright was born at Ballylongford, Co Kerry, Ireland, on the 7th of June in 1841.

Timothy Enright joined the Metropolitan Police on the 24th of April in 1865 and was assigned to 'K' or Bow division and was given the warrant number of 45995.

Police Constable Timothy Enright was on duty for Queen Victoria's Jubilee Parade and was therefore awarded the Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1887 whilst serving as a Police Constable with 'K' or Bow division. This is his only medal entitlement. 

On the 26th of July in 1890, Police Constable Timothy Enright retired from the Metropolitan Police and 'K' or Bow division.

The one unusual fact about the medal was that it was engraved and in the correct style with the details, ''PC T Enright K R divn.'' Only the one divisional letter should be engraved on these medals and that is the divisional letter referring to the division they are in at the time of the Jubilee. Therefore I believe the letter ''R'' refers to Timothy Enright having been placed on the 'Reserve Duty List,'' during 1887. Just like his collar number would be followed by ''K R''....the medal was engraved following the same rule. It may have been that he had suffered some temporary health problems etc. The official engravers did make the occasional mistakes but they would have been engraving hundreds, if not thousands of medals so they did know what basic details that were required to be engraved on the medals. This is the only reason I kept the medal because I have never seen another example of such a thing happening. 

Recently I was researching another individual who was attached to the early formation of ''Special Branch'' at the C.I.D. Central Office/Scotland Yard and therefore I read ''David Orsam's'' published account of ''Special Branch.'' This is an extremely informative account and provides excellent reference material on the subject. Obviously there are other publications you can also read but it was the David Orsam's account I used :-

'''Police Constable Timothy Enright in the ''New Irish Unit, attached to C.I.D. Central Office/Scotland Yard''...………………………………………..The Fenian Brotherhood and bombing campaign in London resulted in the issuing of ''Police Order dated the 19/3/1883'' which ordered the transfer of 8 uniformed Metropolitan Police personnel to the C.I.D. Central Office, as part of a temporary ''New Unit.''  This new unit was to be the front-line in the fight against the Fenian attacks etc. These eight uniformed officers of ''Irish descent''  would be working in plain clothes and carry out undercover work within the new unit. I have listed the eight officers involved :-

Inspector Pope 'C' division. Inspector Ahern 'R' division. PC O'Sullivan 'D' division. PC Walsh 'E' division. PC McIntyre 'L' division. PC Foy 'M' division. PC Jenkins 'V' division and PC Thorpe 'Y' division.

The New Unit was under the supervision of ''Chief Superintendent Williamson'' and who had 4 local detectives also within this New Unit and who were also tasked with tackling the Fenian threats and bombings and they were :-

Sergeant Melville 'W' division. Sergeant Regan 'TA' division and Police Constable Enright [believed to be Patrick Enright from 'H' or Whitechapel division] ………………………………………………………………………….....and Police Constable Enright [believed to be Timothy Enright from 'K' or Bow division].

So we now know that Police Constable Timothy Enright had served in the local C.I.D. of Bow division. Unfortunately Detective Timothy Enright, after a disciplinary hearing was reprimanded and cautioned  and returned to 'K' or Bow division, on the 24th of May in 1883. Therefore after approximately one months service with the New Unit and which it had been a great honour to be selected for........he gets returned to his division under a cloud. I did some research on the division and I must agree that PC Enright definitely appears to be Timothy Enright.

Detective Patrick Enright was returned to 'H' or Whitechapel division in the summer of 1883 because as the threat from the Fenian terrorists was reduced, then the individuals from the New Unit were returned to their previous divisions.

The moral of the story, is that you never know what the future might turn-up on the individual Policemen within your collection.

SS859282 (2).JPG

SS859321 (2).JPG

SS859327 (2).JPG

SS859335 (2).JPG

SS859297 (2).JPG

SS859312.JPG

SS859314 (2).JPG

Hi,

Glad you like it Gordon but the original medal I was researching...…....I know you will like that story even better than Timothy Enright's story. It relates to the early days of ''Special Branch'' and covers a period of over a decade within the C.I.D. at Scotland Yard. I will add it onto this thread but it might take me some time to complete. Unfortunately I am struggling to get it started.

Anyway sometimes we wonder what happened to individuals after they have retired from the Police so here is just a few basic details relating to Timothy Enright and family.

England Census 1891. Timothy [49] and his wife Harriet [46] and family are residing at 3 Caxton Street, Bow & Bromley of Tower Hamlets and he is listed as, 'living on his own means.'  

England Census of 1901. Timothy and Harriet and family are residing at 27 Tomlin Grove, Bromley, Bow & Bromley division of Tower Hamlets. They also have two lodgers residing with them. Timothy is employed as a ''waiter at the stock exchange and is also recorded as being a 'retired policeman.'

England Census of 1911. Timothy [69] and Harriet [65] with some of the family are still residing at 27 Tomlin Grove but he is now just recorded as a 'police pensioner' 

Timothy seems to have done OK.

Alan.

SS859351 (2).JPG

SS859354 (2).JPG

Hi.

'Not probably Timothy Enright but almost certainly Timothy Enright.'...………………………….

The publication by 'Orsam Books - Special Branch,'  stated that it was probably Police Constable Timothy Enright in 'K' or Bow division that was assigned to the, 'New Irish Unit' in 1883. We know the individual's surname was 'Enright' and that he was a 'Police Constable in 'K' or Bow division.'

Further research has only identified one Police Constable with the surname of Enright within 'K' or Bow division and that is Police Constable Timothy Enright. This would appear to definitely confirm that we do have the right man.

Police Constable Patrick Enright completed his time with New Irish Unit and then returned to 'H' or Whitechapel division in the Summer of 1883.  On the 7th of January in 1884, in a case involving robbery and theft, we find that Patrick Enright is giving evidence at that Old Bailey trial and is now a Detective Sergeant with 'H' or Whitechapel division. It would appear that successfully and professionally completing his time assigned to this New Irish Unit, did probably assist Police Constable Patrick Enright in his Metropolitan career.

The only other Policeman that has been found with the 'Enright' surname in 'K' or Bow division around this time, is that of Detective Sergeant James Enright. I know he was transferred from 'H' or Whitechapel division to 'K' or Bow division and I believe he was transferred due to his promotion to the rank of Police Sergeant.                                                            Obviously this man can be ruled out because he is a Police Sergeant and therefore he is the wrong rank.                         An Old Bailey trial record also confirms James Enright as being a Police Sergeant only a few months after Police Constable Enright's service with the New Irish Unit was terminated  and he was returned to 'K' or Bow division because of having been disciplined and punished. Police Constable Timothy Enright has served with the unit for approximately 2 months before his downfall. This would have been a serious blow to Police Constable Timothy Enright's career for some considerable time, I would suspect

Hi,

''''Herman Hendrick Bulterman.''''

Herman Hendrick [originally spelt Hendrik] Bulterman was born in Rotterdam, in the Netherlands, in 1854. Herman's parents were Jesaia and Elizabeth Adriana Bulterman [nee Staats].

On the 7th of August in 1878, Herman Hendrik Bulterman [24] marries Goverdina Demmenie [38] and the marriage took place in Rotterdam.

Herman and Goverdina Bulterman who are both citizens of the Netherlands, move to and reside in London. On the 4th of October in 1880 Herman H Bulterman joins the Metropolitan Police and is assigned to 'D' or Marylebone division and is also given the warrant number of 64955.

On the 12th of April in 1883, the Home Secretary authorised more than 560 uniformed officers to protect important buildings in London against the terrorist threats and bombings.This action indicates how serious the Government took the dangers from the dynamite war and Fenian attacks etc.

On the 22nd of November in 1883, William Woolf [24] who is recorded as being a chemist and Edward Bondurand [24] who is a baker were arrested and later indicated for possessing a large quantity of explosives for illegal purposes under the 'Explosives Act of 1883.' The plot was to blow up the German Embassy but the real reason for the plot was to fraudulently obtain large sums of money from the Metropolitan Police by providing them with false information regarding the bombing. Leon Ferrall purchased the 14lbs of gunpowder but later Leon Ferrall and Louis Bondurand, the brother of one of the prisoners, made a statement on the 20th of November in 1883 to Chief Inspector George Greenham of the Criminal Investigation Department, relating to the intended criminal action and which resulted in the arrest of the above prisoners and finding the bomb making equipment. Police Constable 109C Herman Bulterman who is now serving in 'C' or St. James's division gave evidence at the trial that he witnessed Leon Ferrall entering the German Embassy. Police Constable109C Herman Bulterman was on Special Duties guarding the German Embassy and his testimony was backed up by embassy staff who also spoke to Leon Ferrall on that particular evening. The jury, after more than five hours of deliberations still could not agree on the prisoners guilt and so the case was adjourned and later dismissed.

I would suspect that Detective Chief Inspector George Greenham was impressed with Police Constable 109C Herman Bulterman's keen powers of observation while guarding the German Embassy and his effective testimony at the Old Bailey trial. It is known that prior to the creation of the Criminal Investigation Department in 1878, Detective Chief Inspector George Greenham at the Commissioner's Office was responsible for keeping track of foreign criminals operating in London. He supervised a staff of only three other Senior Detectives who all had the ability to speak German or French. Detective Chief Inspector George Greenham could speak both of these languages and also Italian. In 1883, when he met Police Constable 109C Herman Bulterman who was actually a citizen of the Netherlands and could speak English and Dutch and could probably speak some German or French, then it is easy to understand why Herman Bulterman was soon to become part of the Criminal Investigation Department and Special Branch at Scotland Yard.

The Government was very unhappy about the level and quality of the intelligence that they were receiving and more resources were supplied to the C.I.D. within the Central Office/Scotland Yard. It was decided that more information should be acquired at the British ports of entry and even from European Ports feeding into the British ports. The purpose was 'to watch the movements of Fenians and dynamitards' - HO144/133/A34848 refers.

Therefore on the 10th of April in 1884, five officers were posted abroad :-

Sergeant Melville and Constable Durham at Havre.

Constable Bann at Antwerp.

Constable Bulterman at Rotterdam.

Sergeant Froest at Paris. [Later since Paris is not a port, Froest was withdrawn and Hamburg was included.]

Therefore we see that Police Constable Herman Hendrick Bulterman is now deep in the undercover operations to tackle the terrorist threats coming from Europe. It was not unusual for American Fenians etc to use a European port as their entry point into the United Kingdom, rather than proceeding directly to a United Kingdom port of entry. [Section 'C' Special Branch would later relate to ports etc] Thus these Metropolitan Police Detectives stationed at the European ports were extremely important as the British front line to identify the terrorist threats. Detective Herman H Bulterman has only been in the Metropolitan Police for approximately two and a half years by this stage in his career.

Everything then goes dark and we next find he had been awarded the Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1887 as a Police Sergeant [Detective/C.I.D.] with the Commissioner's Office at Scotland Yard. The medal appears to have been professionally gilded or else it is the most perfect example of this medal I have ever seen and it has always been kept in its original period medal presentation box. If it is gilded, then that is quite a continental thing to do but Herman Hendrik Bulterman was a continental man from the Netherlands. Either way this is a stunning medal.

I will write up the next stage in his career over the next few days.

SS859399 (2).JPG

SS859370 (2).JPG

SS859384 (2).JPG

SS859383 (2).JPG

SS859382 (2).JPG

SS859372 (2).JPG

SS859375 (2).JPG

Hi and many thanks.

Here is just some supporting documentation for the first part of the Herman Hendrik Bulterman story.

Metropolitan Police records - joining and leaving docs.

Court record regarding the 1883 bombing trial.

Herman Hendrik Bulterman's birth and marriage certificates.

and the medal and its original presentation box. Notice the extremely nice condition of the box which indicates how Herman and his later family etc preserved the items with great care.

SS859414 (2).JPG

SS859419 (2).JPG

SS859420 (2).JPG

SS859406 (2).JPG

SS859410 (2).JPG

SS859377 (2).JPG

SS859399 (2).JPG

Hi,

Herman Hendrik Bulterman's story from 1887 to 1890...…………...

Since the history of 'Special Branch' only began in 1883, we can confirm that Detective Herman Bulterman was one of the original group of Policemen to be a member of this elite service. This can be evidenced by Detective Herman Bulterman's assignment to the undercover operation at the Port of Rotterdam ''especially to watch the movements of Fenians and dynamitards in 1884.''

By 1887, Herman Bulterman is now a Detective Police Sergeant in the C.I.D. at Central Office/Scotland Yard. Since Special Branch was imbedded within the Criminal Investigation Branch, it is necessary to examine Detective Sergeant Herman Bulterman's work to evidence his continual presence as a member of Special Branch.

Apart from the German Embassy bombing plot in January of 1884, there are no other Old Bailey trial records that mention Herman Bulterman. This is not totally unexpected because if he was still serving in Special Branch, then he would be more likely to be dealing with foreign nationals and Governments etc.

There is a newspaper report in June of 1888 of two notorious American burglars being arrested. A number of Scotland Yard detectives arrived at the Café Monaco and served a provisional warrant on the two men. An extradition warrant stated the men were wanted by the German Empire for the burglary of a Munich jewellery shop and the theft of approximately £30,000. Herman Bulterman was one of the arresting officers.

In 1890, Herman Hendrick Bulterman applies for ''Naturalisation Certificate and Declaration.'' Herman Bulterman is granted British Citizenship. Herman and his wife are residing at 6 Wellington Street, in the Strand, in Middlesex and he is recorded as being employed as a ''Detective Sergeant in the Metropolitan Police.'' Note...…..Henry Matthews is the Home Secretary at the time of the application. I would suspect that the naturalisation process would have been required, at some point, if you a permanent member of the Special Branch. Herman Bulterman's wife does not apply for citizenship. 

[Will add more of the story later.]

SS859428 (2).JPG

SS859431 (2).JPG

SS859433 (2).JPG

SS859435 (2).JPG

Hi,

Herman Hendrik Bulterman's story from 1891 onward...………….

On the 7th of January in 1892, at the Extradition Court at Bow Street, a French couple appeared on the charge of murder.

Sergeant Herman Bulterman of the Detectives Department at Scotland Yard had taken the prisoners into his custody from a prison in Jersey.

Sergeant Herman Bulterman speaking in French cautioned them and explained he had a warrant for their arrest on a ''murder charge'' which had occurred in France.

Sergeant Herman Bulterman also recorded their replies to the charge.

The prisoners were remanded for a week.

We now have confirmation that Herman Bulterman also speaks French and I'm sure he would have been better than ''Del Boy.''

SS859438 (2).JPG

Yet more to come. If the majority of the cases which involve Detective Sergeant Herman Bulterman …….relate to foreigners and foreign Governments etc then we can confirm that he is still working in Special Branch. Exactly because he is not investigating or arresting the usual common or serious criminals of London. The problem is that  much of his work would have been confidential and the details would never have been released to the press.

In June of 1892, Detective Sergeant Bulterman and Craggs went to 34 Portland Road in Tottenham to arrest Otto Hymmen. There was an extradition warrant against him for embezzling money from within the jurisdiction of the German Government. 

On seeing the officers he jumped from a window to the ground floor which was a drop of 20 feet. 

As the prisoner was an acrobat he managed to land without injuring himself and ran off.

Detective Sergeant Herman Bulterman gave chase and after a quarter of a mile managed to arrest the prisoner.

[Scotland Yard always gets their man....if Herman is around.]

SS859445 (2).JPG

Hi,

The books are great. I must admit I never really appreciated how interesting this whole subject is.....Special Branch, the whole Fenian and bombing campaigns that were taking place and now we have a new set of Police characters like Bulterman and Greenham and lots of others.

In March of 1894, Andreas Seiler, a German national, arrived at Scotland Yard and wanted money to take him to either Bavaria or to New York. We now know that Police Sergeant Herman Bulterman could also speak German, as Andreas was taken upstairs to speak to Police Sergeant Herman Bulterman.  

Police Sergeant Herman Bulterman explained ''he would get not money here'' and escourted him back downstairs.

Unfortunately Andreas Seiler decided it was a good course of action to then break a glass panel and hit a Constable on the back of the head.

At his court hearing he complained ''he did not feel clear headed due to the drugs the Police had given him.''

The prisoner was remanded in order that his state of mind might be enquired into.

In 1878, Detective Chief Inspector George Greenham could speak 3 languages ie French, German and Italian and was considered the best linguistic officer in the whole of the Metropolitan Police Constabulary. It now appears that we can confirm that Detective Sergeant Herman Bulterman equalled that same level of linguistic expertise with being able to speak Dutch, French and German. 

SS859449 (2).JPG

Hi,

Now we have the sad part of the story to tell...…….

On the 1st of March in 1895, Detective Sergeant Herman Bulterman resigned from Scotland Yard and the Metropolitan Police.

Police Sergeant Herman Bulterman was given a gratuity payment for his services.

The reason for the resignation was ill health and approximately one month later, in April of 1895, he died when he was only 40 years old.

On the 24th of April in 1895, Herman Bulterman [40] was buried in the district of Southward.

If he had not died so young, he may well have continued to climb the promotional ladder, within Special Branch in the Criminal Investigation Department at Scotland Yard.

Herman's wife Goverdina Bulterman [66] remained a resident of London and her death was registered in Wandsworth in 1906.  They did not have any children.

[I know very little about Special Branch or the Fenian's and other bombing campaigns so if I have made any mistakes or come to any wrong conclusion, I would be most grateful for any information.]

SS859450 (2).JPG

SS859456 (2).JPG

SS859459 (2).JPG

SS859465 (2).JPG

SS859399 (2).JPG

Hi,

The first ''Special Branch'' or ''Special Irish Branch,'' as it was known then within the Metropolitan Police was created in March of 1883.

It is also stated that after the formation of ''Special Branch'' they were also given the responsibility for the ''applications for naturalisation.'' It makes sense for Special Branch to do the verifying on who is trying to become a British Citizen. They were responsible for checking the good character, employment, addresses and references that had be presented in the application to the Home Secretary.

Herman Bulterman's application was processed in 1890 but it would appear there was never any doubt he would be accepted and Herman could have probably completed this processes even earlier, if he had wished to. Special Branch checking Special Branch.

[The photographed page comes from the book - Metropolitan Special Branch. A history 1883-2006 by Ray Wilson and Ian Adams. I have only just got the book so I have not read it yet.]    

SS859470 (2).JPG

Hi,

The transformation from 'Special Irish Branch' to 'Special Branch' within the Criminal Investigation Department of Scotland Yard - 1883 to 1887.

Police Constable Timothy Enright of 'K' or Bow division joined the 'Special Irish Branch' on the 19th of March in 1883. Police Constable Timothy Enright only served with the Special Irish Branch for approximately 2 months before he was returned to 'K' or Bow division for being reprimanded and cautioned.

Police Constable Herman Bulterman was also assigned to the 'Special Irish Branch' on the 10th of April in 1884 and was sent abroad to observe and monitor the activities at Rotterdam Port but he remained with the Branch for more than a decade and rose to the rank of Detective Police Sergeant.

In 1887, the majority of the Criminal Investigation Department personnel at Scotland Yard were in Section 'A' which meant they were dealing with London criminals and London crimes.

Police Order dated 5/3/1887 - then established 'Special Branch' in a more formal and permanent way :-

Section 'B' [Special Irish Branch]. Manned by 25 C.I.D. officers. Their main responsibility was stated as focusing on the 'Fenian groups in the London area.

Section 'D' [Special Secret Branch]. Manned by 4 C.I.D. officers. [Inspectors].Their main responsibility was stated as focusing on the 'Fenian groups outside the London area.

Section 'C' [Watching Ports]. Manned by 6 C.I.D. officers. Their main responsibility was stated as focusing on observing and monitoring the activities occurring at the ports.

That is a very simplistic version of what the Sections within the Special Branch in the C.I.D. at Scotland Yard were doing and working on. There were threats from anarchists, socialist and other groups, stories of Royal protection duties and dealing with foreign citizens for all various reasons etc.  

I believe, that Detective Sergeant Herman Bulterman may have continued to serve in Section 'C' because he had the experience of working at ports, including his time at Rotterdam Port. Herman Bulterman's linguistic skills would have been much in demand and very useful in dealing with foreigners and in relation to European activities etc and since  Section 'C' is dealing with all ports, this seems the most appropriate use for his skills.   

Hi,

Regarding a newspaper article I had listed previously.................

''The newspaper article from June of 1888 which stated that Scotland Yard detectives had arrested two notorious American burglars at the Café Monaco, in London, on behalf of the German Empire. The two criminals were to face extradition back to German on the charges of stealing £30,00 from a Munich jewellery shop.''

It is interesting to note the Detectives involved were  Herman Bulterman, Alfred Leach, Fank Froest and White [unknown].

If Herman Bulterman had not died when he was only 40 years old, I believe, he may have attained a much higher rank as his service progressed.

Alfred Leach, warrant number 58059, joined the Metropolitan Police on the 20th of July in 1874. Retired on pension on the 1st of January in 1908 as a Superintendent in the C.I.D. [C.O./Commissioner's Office] at Scotland Yard.

Frank Castle Froest, joined 17th of March in 1879 and retired on pension on the 1st of October in 1912. On retirement his rank was that of Superintendent in the C.I.D. [C.O./Commissioner's Office] at Scotland Yard. 

Frank Castle Froest [1858-1930], a British Detective and Crime writer.

A journalist once described Frank Froest as being, ''short, thick-set, full-faced and when in uniform looked more like a Prussian Field-Marshal than anything else. Out of uniform he was always immaculate in a silk hat, patent leather boots and carrying a carefully rolled umbrella.''

He was known to be extremely strong and in retirement also became an author. There is lots of information about him on the internet.

So Herman Hendrik Bulterman was in some very fine company in 1888. 

Hi,

The following photographs are of ''Adolphus Frederick ''Dolly'' Williamson'' [1830-9/12/1889] and who was the head of the Detectives Branch and then became the head of the newly formed Criminal Investigation Department in 1878.

This is also the man that recruited German speaking detectives into the C.I.D. at the Commissioner's Office at Scotland Yard in approximately 1883/84 . Herman Henrik Bulterman's career started as a ''detective'' because of the forward thinking of Adolphus Williamson and others.  

SS859566 (2).JPG

SS859571 (2).JPG

SS859573 (2).JPG

Hi,

The following photographs refer to a ''Special Branch undercover operation in 1911. [long after Herman Bulterman died in 1895]

But the photograph definitely reminds me of that ''Dad's Army episode of ''Operation wake-up Walmington'' where the platoon dresses up as ''cut-throats and desperadoes.'' 

SS859575 (2).JPG

SS859578 (2).JPG

• 7 months later...

This relates to another early Special Branch Policeman......….

''''King George V expresses his appreciation for the manner in which Detective Sergeant William Lennard of Special Branch had performed his duties whilst stationed at Milton Ernest.''''

On the 4th of September in 1914, Mr Carrington from the Privy Purse Office at Buckingham Palace was commanded by King George V to request the approval of Sir Edward Henry the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, as to rewarding Sergeant Lennard for the manner in which he had performed his Royal duties whilst stationed at Milton Ernest.

The Royal duties involved being in charge and responsible for the safety of the Royal Highnesses Prince Henry [later the Duke of Gloucester] and Prince George [later the Duke of Kent] when they stayed with the Ampthill family at Milton Ernest in Bedfordshire.

A cheque for £2.00 was enclosed with the letter which was showing King George V's gratitude to Sergeant Lennard.

Sir Edward Henry G.C.V.O. K.C.B. C.S.I. Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police wrote back on the 5th of September in 1914 and stated that His Majesty's gracious appreciation of Sergeant Lennard's services will at once be communicated to him and he will receive the gratuity that was kindly enclosed.

The original letter from Mr Carrington of the Privy Purse Office at Buckingham Palace has survived and there is a copy of the original letter from Sir Edward Henry, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police at Scotland Yard.

SS850393 (2).JPG

SS850389 (2).JPG

Police Sergeant William Lennard.

Warrant number 88145.

Joined 30/12/1901, as a Police Constable attached to Highgate or 'Y' division.

Retired on pension on the 3/1/1927, as a Police Sergeant attached to the Commissioner's Officer at Scotland Yard or 'CO' division. [Special Branch].

Would have been awarded the Metropolitan Police Coronation medal for 1902, as a Police Constable whilst attached to Highgate of 'Y' division and the Metropolitan Police Coronation medal for 1911 as a Police Sergeant whilst attached to CO at Scotland Yard - Special Branch.

Again Detective Sergeant [Special Branch] William Lennard strikes again...…...….

''The dramatic arrest of Mrs Emmeline Parkhurst by Detective Inspector George Riley and Detective Sergeant William Lennard of Special Branch.''

Mrs Emmeline Parkhurst had been serving a prison sentence in Holloway Prison but because of her poor state of health, due to her hunger strike and being force fed, she had been released for a week to recuperate.  The Government did not want any of the suffragettes to die in custody and so the release was allowed under the, ''Cat and Mouse Bill.'' Obviously Mrs Parkhurst did not return when she was due to and Special Branch was given information that Mrs Parkhurst would lead the funeral procession of Emily Davison.

On the 4th of June in 1913, Emily Davison died at the Epsom Darby by walking in front of the King's horse during the race.

On Saturday the 14th of June in 1913, Emmeline Parkhurst who was staying with a friend at West Minster Mansions, in Great Smith Street, left the building to secretly attend and lead this important suffragettes funeral.

Detective Inspector George Riley and Detective Sergeant William Lennard of Special Branch arrested her and immediately took her back to Holloway Prison.

Special Branch were responsible for monitoring Suffragette activities.

SS850394 (2).JPG

SS850396 (2).JPG

SS850399 (2).JPG

SS850355 (2).JPG

Detective Sergeant William Lennard [Special Branch. C.I.D. Scotland Yard.] - other known Royal and protection duties were as follows :-

William Lennard's career in Special Branch started in 1905.

It is recorded that Detective Sergeant William Lennard was also on Royal assignment guarding the Duke of Windsor in London and in Oxford and which also included the Duke of Windsor's various friends and other members of the Royal family.

During the First World War Detective William Lennard was also given the heavy responsibility of protecting Cabinet Ministers and other leading figures :_

[1] This included Winston Churchill. [later Sir Winston Churchill].

[2] Augustine Birrell the Secretary for Ireland.

[3] Right Honourable Lewis Harcourt. Detective Sergeant William Lennard was given a presentation gold mounted and inscribed walking stick as a souvenir of their association.

[4] General [later Field Marshall] Jan Christian Smuts. Detective Sergeant William Lennard was given a photograph of Jan Christian Smuts in s silver frame which he treasured for the rest of his life.  

There is a hand written and a typed history of his Police career which appears to relate to his retirement. 

SS850404 (2).JPG

SS850406 (2).JPG

SS850411 (2).JPG

SS850412 (2).JPG

SS850414 (2).JPG