xxx

the medals of Agostino Focacchio

Gentleman, I see this in a corner in a church in italy lately

37022490hn.jpg

37022494yj.jpg

37022498kb.jpg

37022501lv.jpg

37022502dp.jpg

anyone can telling me what they are and for what Agostino got them?

These medals, probably given to a Church as an "ex-voto", mean that our man fought in the 1859, 1860-61 and 1866 campaigns; one, is the French medal for the 1859 campaign in Italy (awarded to Sardinian/Italian troops too); more, we see the "Unità d'Italia -1848-1870" medal in silver, with the image of King Humbert I and one of the many commemorative crosses for the Wars of Independence, awarded by some veterans' committee, curiously mounted to the ribbon of the Military Order of Savoy.

Agostino Focaccio, in 1866 also received a Silver "Al Valore Militare" medal for the Southern Italian campaign of 1861-61 for his gallantry in front of the enemy, as a gunner in the 3rd Artillery Regiment (siege of Capua and Gaeta). This medal is not present in the frame though...

Best wishes,

Enzo (E.L.)

Edited by Elmar Lang

Enzo what is the last medal also with an image of Umberto I

Paul

Hello, Paul,

the silver medal with the image of King Humbert I is the "Unità d'Italia 1848-1870" commemorative medal, awarded to anyone who participated to the wars of Independence in the Sardinian/Italian army or in Garibaldi's volunteer corps.

Later, King Victor Emanuel III instituted a similar medal, in bronze, but with his portrait: the "Unità d'Italia 1848-1918" medal, awarded also to those participating to WW1 considered as the last war for Italy's unity.

Enzo

Edited by Elmar Lang

Enzo, 

I dont understand he already has the Victor Emanuel II medal with 3 dated clasps, why did he get the Umberto medal?

Paul

King Victor Emanuel II, instituted a medal to the combatants in the "Wars for Italy's Independence and Unity" ("Guerre per l'Indipendenza e l'Unità d'Italia"), that has to be considered a "Campaign Medal" where each campaign is indicated with bars; the "Unità d'Italia 1848-1870" (and, later, "(…) 1848-1918" have to be considered as a "Commemorative Medals".

all the best,

Enzo