News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

which uniform & rank - need help

Hello !

Recently i got some new photos

The shown pic was written in France in 1918.

Now, i would have some questions:

-Which rank? I think NCO

-Is he an infanterist, or Jäger ?

One the right collar i can see an "J".

His name is Emil. He`s wearing a 2 place ribbon bar.

I think IC & Baden MKFV (Militär Karl Friedrich)

Thanks for help.

zähringer 50.jpg

Hello, the tunic is not standard , It was used by Air Force personnel but also by Mountain troops officers and senior NCOs . the lack of shoulder boards is a curiosity , almost all member of the German Army carried SBs . the cut and quality of the uniform is Officers pattern or at least senior NCO. he carries a bayonet with officers type swordknot. also used by senior NCOs and NCOs officer candidates. the badge on the collar is not clear, I see a 6 , Doctors assignated to the Prussian Landsturm weared a officers type uniform without SBs and with a collar patch on both sides of collar .over the patch ,the Aesculapius rod and serpent and one or two pips .

Hi, thanks for your reply you 2.

Here we have a pic of the backside.

Some warm words for Leo...

Münsterlager = i think it could be a POW camp?

The region is Northern France.

zähringer51.jpg

Hello!

Unfortunateley nothing to help...

I read:

His dear Leo in remembrance in finding each other again in Münsterlager near Reims.

March 15, 1918

Crécy sue Serre

Crécy > Reims = ~65km

Probably he found his friend Leo in Münsterlager and wrote the card in Crécy.

Münterlager will be a training ground.

The card was written one week before the  "Great battle of France" (March, 21.)

Crécy is near Laon. That belonged to the 7th army. But I don´t know what the "J" could be

Could it be, that he wears no SB because of the disguise (i used Google Translator, i mean Tarnung in German)

That the enemy couldn`t see, that he`s a higher NCO or officer`s rank?????

I see a "J" on the right "Kragen" - and may be a regimental pin on the left.

Edited by ixhs

Hello, Munsterlager is since 1891 a Training place first of the Prussian Army and today of the Bundeswehr . relative to the SBs , there is no disguise when you wears a officers swordknot ,breeches and leggings . no thoughts about the ribbons . One posiblity is that the man is a chemical  and was earlier in the Gasplatz Breloh , located in the North of Munster training camp since 1916 . 

8 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello, Munsterlager is since 1891 a Training place first of the Prussian Army and today of the Bundeswehr .

Hi Bayern,

yes and no. Yes, there is a training ground by that name in Germany, today probably the best known in West-Germany, alas, it´s not the one mentioned on the photo. It clearly states "near Reims". And Munsterlager in Germany is too far off, by all means.

Instead it is a large training ground of the French Army between Soissons and Reims, still in use in the 2nd WW. The Germans just nicknamed it "Munsterlager" as they named lots of topographic points/areas after those in Germany that resembled their counterparts or reminded them of home.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC