News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prince Woldemar of Lippe-Detmold in an unusual uniform

Hi gents,

I would like to show you a quite rare picture of
    Prince Woldemar zur Lippe-Detmold,
    who was ruling the principal Lippe-Detmold from 1875-1895.

Pictures of him are quite rare...on this one he is wearing the uniform of a "Rechtsritter des Johanniter-Orden" ?

Regards
    Roman

Lippe-Woldemar 1905-Portrait Johanniter-web.jpg

Prince Eitel Friedrich ,the Fat Boy among William II sons , apart from his volume he served well as soldier ,first in the East Front and the in the West ,always in First line either as Regiment chief or as Division commander , he escaped  narrowly to capture and death .

Got these two images on file, the one with cloak belonged to Walther_von_Hallwyls (I suspect it's the same uniform, albeit, the first image sans cloak and tifter:D)

Interestingly the Kaiser wears a sash without a badge

mu3954-adc191211fosverstraaten.jpg

Walther_von_Hallwyls_ordensdräkt_som_Rechtsritter_i_Johanniterorden_bestående_av_flera_delar_-_Hallwylska_museet_-_85849_tif.jpg

Kaiser_Wilhelm_II_als_Herrenmeister_des_Johanniter_Ordens.jpg

Edited by Alex K

That badgeless sash is weird...

Nevertheless these uniforms confuse me. I still haven't found a source were these uniforms are explained. There are these, that look pretty much like the Malta ones. Than there seems to be the "ulanen-like" one. And I found a picture of another one, that might be a Johanniter uniform with just one column of buttons

1. ) Malta uniforms:

Ãhnliches Foto

2.)

The one Prince Woldemar wears

3.)

Are these Johanniter uniforms? (the pictures are tagged to be in the Schlossmuseum Braunfels)

attachment.php?id=14358&s=e60cd92f28643009a2270fe491d0dd61

attachment.php?id=14359&s=e60cd92f28643009a2270fe491d0dd61

Edited by Utgardloki

Ok, the one-column one seems to be the one for Ehrenritter:

image.thumb.png.ee9b501b7243e5f18dd1ff3a3eff4eb2.png

Those pictures are from the book: "Geschichte des ritterlichen Ordens St. Johannis vom Spital zu Jerusalem : mit besonderer Berücksichtigung der Ballei Brandenburg oder des Herrenmeisterthums Sonnenburg"

I haven't found anything regarding the other uniforms (the ones I called Malta-like) in the book. Maybe they have been introduced later (the book is from 1859), or I did not find the right part (the book has nearly 900 pages)

Edited by Utgardloki

18 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

That badgeless sash is weird...

Nevertheless these uniforms confuse me. I still haven't found a source were these uniforms are explained. There are these, that look pretty much like the Malta ones. Than there seems to be the "ulanen-like" one. And I found a picture of another one, that might be a Johanniter uniform with just one column of buttons

1. ) Malta uniforms:

Ãhnliches Foto

2.)

The one Prince Woldemar wears

3.)

Are these Johanniter uniforms? (the pictures are tagged to be in the Schlossmuseum Braunfels)

attachment.php?id=14358&s=e60cd92f28643009a2270fe491d0dd61

attachment.php?id=14359&s=e60cd92f28643009a2270fe491d0dd61

Johanniter . 

Rhougly , If you were Lutheran you qualify for the Saint John Order. If Roman Catholic for the Maltese Order .. they are different branchs of the original Order Of Malta founded in 1048 as military order then in 1099 ampliated with a Hospitalary branch . the Johanitter are since 1538 the Reformated equivalent of the Malta Order . 

Well, seems like I heaven't expressed myself well enough. I know the history of the orders (especially after looking through this 1859 book). So what I know is, that there are existing these two uniforms, one for the Ehrenritter and one for the Rechtsritter. Beside them there are the kind of uniforms which for example the Kaiser is wearing seen on a post above (they look similar to the uniforms worn in the order of Malta). I haven't found anything about these uniforms... (Are these some kind of officer uniforms of the order? Or just a new design that came up later?)

Edited by Utgardloki