News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on early Czech army photo

Hello!

I received this nice detailed photo, but I only know, that one of the arm patches is from the MG-Troops.

I wonder about the basence of the collar-numbers, which were worn in that era.

The single circle is unknown to me. Has anyone infos about that troop and date, please?

Thanks a lot in advance

Tschechen, MG-Truppe, Schwarzlose MG - Kopie.jpg

Tschechen, MG-Truppe, Schwarzlose MG - Kopie (9).jpg

Tschechen, MG-Truppe, Schwarzlose MG - Kopie (8).jpg

Tschechen, MG-Truppe, Schwarzlose MG - Kopie (7).jpg

Tschechen, MG-Truppe, Schwarzlose MG - Kopie (6).jpg

Tschechen, MG-Truppe, Schwarzlose MG - Kopie (5).jpg

Tschechen, MG-Truppe, Schwarzlose MG - Kopie (4).jpg

Tschechen, MG-Truppe, Schwarzlose MG - Kopie (3).jpg

Tschechen, MG-Truppe, Schwarzlose MG - Kopie (2).jpg

Scannen0006.jpg

Hello Gentlemen , You can date the pic between 1925 and 1929 ,  the man seated at the right in the center with sidecap and lanyard is a Rottmistr ,Senior NCO and probably chief of the platoon , note his badge of rank on SB and sidecap .its a hexagonal plain silver button . on the collars of the corporal with peaked cap you can see the patch in arm colour and behind on the collar ,the number of the unit ,a 3 . infantry regiment i suppose.  The man who send the postcard and the recipent are German Speaking ,sadly the writing is damaged but some is legible , Herrn Franz Fischer , n K Honig , nlmacher , Truppensch...Komoton and clearly Bohmen

10 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi Nickstrenk,

there are different emblems/patches on the sleeves. Which one is the MG and for what does the other one stand for?

Thanks,

GreyC

Do you mean that one?A pure circle?In Slovak-delostrelecký automobilný personál-artillery automotive crew

804030787_TschechenMG-TruppeSchwarzloseMG-Kopie(2).jpg.c2a446bbce785cc200c1f9b356f9330e.jpg

Hello Bayern, Nickstrtenk and GreyC!

Thanks a lot for your help! Yes, I meant the single circle! Thankx for the explanation!

I know, Czech troops had french uniforms, but I wonder about the fourages. Are they french or czech?

I also miss the collar numbers

Hello The Prussian, the fourageres are French . the collar number is just visible at the rear of the collar not on the arm colour patch.later in the thirties new numeral badges were adopted in form of oblong pieces of matt bronze with the number/s cast in .probably the wear of the french fourageres was limited to individuals having served in the French raised Czech Legion of two rifle Regiments the 21st and 22 nd . Today the Burgwache , the Guard of the Hradschin Castle wears a Fouragere but more of the type styled among Generaladjutants and ADCs .on the right breast and tricoloured 

the Czech speaking units of the KuK Army or the KK Landwehr, that ended the war in the Austrian side ,the major part of them . after the Armnistice of November 4th 1918 , retreated to their recruitment areas in good order and with their armament .later formed the basis of the new Czechoslovak Army. of course alongside the returned Legions , from France , Italy and Russia . Prince Lajos Windischgraetz stated in a book he wrote about his life and circumstances that in 1919 1920 the majority of the new Czechoslovak Army hated General Jan Sirovy and the legionaires . 

20 hours ago, Bayern said:

Prince Lajos Windischgraetz stated in a book he wrote about his life and circumstances that in 1919 1920 the majority of the new Czechoslovak Army hated General Jan Sirovy and the legionaires . 

Very interesting, Bayern. Could you give a very short explanation as to why this was the case, please?

Hello ,I repeat what Prince Lajos said in his book Helden und Halunken, Heros and Villains, By my own I think that must have  exists some resentment from the old KuK or KK czech officers against the Legionaires and their Commanders Sirovy, Stefanik and Gajda because of their dominant often agressive behaviour

7 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello ,I repeat what Prince Lajos said in his book Helden und Halunken, Heros and Villains, By my own I think that must have  exists some resentment from the old KuK or KK czech officers against the Legionaires and their Commanders Sirovy, Stefanik and Gajda because of their dominant often agressive behaviour

Thank you for this, Bayern. Your suggestion makes good sense. What a shame that Prince Lajos wasn't more specific - there is a time and a place for princely discretion but this was not it, perhaps :(

Edited by Trooper_D