News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Republic of North Macedonia

Megan

Established on 8 September 1991, with a name that's been disputed from the outset by Greece, who understandibly would prefer that there is no confusion between the Republic and their own region called Macedonia, it was originally called the Republic of Macedonia (Former Republic of Yugoslavia), but in January 2019, a compromise title of Republic of North Macedonia was agreed with the Greek parliament (plenty of protests, however, by those who objected to the use of the name Macedonia at all...). But we won't go into that: let's look at some of their orders, decorations and medals instead.

Order of the Republic of Macedonia

Instituted in 2002, this is the highest state decoration of the Republic of North Macedonia. It is awarded for outstanding services in promoting the sovereignty of Macedonia, developing international relations or other services to the nation. It is a single-class order, consisting of a collar with a badge and a star.

The ribbon (worn when ribbons alone are worn) is red with narrow edge stripes.

The collar of the order consists of alternate links of the Macedonian flag and a decorative piece based on a mediaeval manuscript. The badge is suspended from a stylised Gordian knot, and is circular, 57mm in diameter. There is a ruby in the centre and a decoration of floral elements and stylised palm trees, with brilliants around the edge.

macedonia001-01.jpg.3c2c47f3bd94ddfd35056ae2003d78eb.jpg

The star of the order has rays of stylised tobacco leaves with a ruby at the end of each ray. There is also a ruby in the centre, surrounded by floral elements and stylised palm trees, and a circle of brilliants (this central part is the same as the badge of the order). Including the rays, the diameter of the star is 91mm.

macedonia001-03.jpg.c006bb5f67d2273deb3a64f555b660ea.jpg

Order of 8th September

This order, the second-highest award of the Republic of North Macedonia, was instituted in 2002. It is awarded for exceptional merit in developing relations with other nations, or services to security or defence of the nation. The name of the order is because the republic was founded on 8th September 1991.

The badge is an 8-pointed silver star with a diameter of 81mm. In the centre is a gold-plated map of the country with the date 8 September 1991, all surrounded by a gold-plated wreath.

macedonia002-01.png.fde425db31917f8ca66d5f2d4ffdaf31.png

The ribbon, worn when ribbons only are worn, is red with yellow-edged white edges.

Order of Illlinden 1903

This order is named in honor of the Ilinden Uprising that took place in 1903. Instituted in 2002, it is awarded for merit in the struggle for the national and social liberation, for outstanding contribution to the national legal and social development and strengthening the community relations in the country.

The badge of the order is based on a redesign of the Ilinden memorial by Kostadin Tančev-Dinka and Vladimir Borojevik. It consists of a four-pointed silver star, 71mm in diameter. In the centre, on a disk of gold-plated rays, the Ilinden memorial is depicted in silver with Илинден 1903 below, all surrounded by a gold-plated wreath.

macedonia003-01.jpg.2179fba23de91f77ceae0a8bad0929d3.jpg

The ribbon, worn when ribbons only are worn, is red with a yellow central stripe and yellow-edged white edges.

Order of Merit of the Republic of Macedonia

Instituted in 2002, this order is awarded for contributions to the political, social and cultural life of the country. It is Macedonia's fourth-highest order.

The badge of the order is an eight-pointed rayed silver star, 65mm in diameter. There is a small ruby on each arm of the star. In the centre there is a plain gold-plated 8-pointed star with a relief representation of the standard of Macedonia.

macedonia004-01.jpg.faa043067a69ad203c5e5f872c5c81e7.jpg

The ribbon, for when ribbons only are worn, is ed with a white central stripe and yellow-edged white edges

That's all for now, but there will be more to follow!

Edited by Megan

Hello Gentlemen,

While in visit in Sofia last month, I visited the Military History Museum. Among the Awards of President Zhelyu Zhelev ( President of Bulgaria from 1990 till 1997 ) was his Order of 8 September.

It's the first time of my life, I see an Order of Macedonia ( FYROM ), with my own eyes.

President Zhelev was awared this Order for recognition he showed to North Macedonia for recognising this country.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Macedonia FYROM Order 8 September to Bulgaria President Zhelyu Zhelev 1990 1997.jpeg

Edited by heusy68

Hello BalkanCollector,

I agree with you. I never been to Skopje, but it's in the plan for the next years. By the way I do believe, that Republic of North Macedonia had a Policy of award Order very sparingly. I bet sooner or later Order of Merit might comes to market, but higher Order as Order of the Republic, or Order of 8 September, we will have to go to Museum to take photo.

There might also be a range of medals for Armed Forces, and for the Police (purely macedonian), that we are not aware (yet), they exist.

Dragomir Acovik , who I met in Belgrade in the summer of 2015 had published a very very well made book on Order of Yugoslavia, with a chapter on all information available on Orders of the 6 Republics, after the collapse of Yugoslavia. A lot of photo, and including a lot of photo of Awards ceremony.

During your visit to Skopje, any museum wth Orders there ?

Regards.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

https://www.avers.mk/

Catalog

http://www.avers.mk/images/catalogues/Avers_KatalogOrdeniInsignii.pdf

Rules of plaques, badges, awards and commendations to the military and civilian service personnel in the Army of the Republic of Macedonia 

http://morm.gov.mk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Plaketi-izmenuv..pdf

4 hours ago, heusy68 said:

During your visit to Skopje, any museum wth Orders there ?

Yes! In the Holocaust Memorial Center for the Jews of Macedonia in Skopje, there are a few personal items of Beno Ruso who became a Lieutenant-General of the Yugoslav People's Army after the war. Among those items was his Order of Brotherhood and Unity 1st class and the booklet for his "Partizanska spomenica 1941.". There was also a bunch of other militaria, mostly German. The Old Bazaar of Skopje is located only a couple of hundred meters north of the museum and it's full of antique shops. You won't miss the ones with militaria. They have military uniforms displayed outside so make sure that you go there when the weather is nice, otherwise they could be inside. ;) 

Also in Bitola, in the south of Macedonia, there were a bunch of medals and orders in the NI Insitute and museum Bitola.

Here's the thread with a few photos I took in those museum and some of the stuff I bought in Skopje's antique shops. 

Continuing, here is the Order of Military Merit (Орден за воени заслуги) which was also instituted on 27 June 2002, this order is awarded for exceptional merit in national defence and security to individuals or institutions. It may also be awarded to police officers and foreigners for services promoting the defence of the Republic, or in strengthening international collaboration between armed forces or police services.

macedonia005-01.jpg.60c7a29875acf50d343a06cb0744f524.jpg

Worn on a neck ribbon – white with yellow-edged white edges – the badge takes the form of an eight-pointed gilded silver star, 66mm in diameter, with red-enamelled arms converging on a disk of 12mm diameter with the motto за татковината (FOR THE MOTHERLAND) around a representation of the Macedonian flag. A wreath of silver oak leaves is wound around the arms of the star, and the suspension is comprised of crossed silver swords and gilded oak leaves.

The badge was designed by Darko Fidanoski.

Thank you Antonio and Emmanuel for your contributions to this thread. I found the Avers catalogue and the regulations Antonio mentioned, although I'm struggling to translate them! There's also an active Macedonian Heraldry Society, who have written in their journal about the Orders I've presented above (they also talk about heraldry and badges, and mercifully publish bilingually in Macedonian and English!).

Emmanuel, the badge you show us is interesting as it appears to be all one colour whereas regulations and official pictures suggest that the Order 8th September is silver and gold plate.

There are a couple of medals to come... then I need to start figuring out the other stuff in the regulations, with some military awards which appear to be non-wearable plaques with ribbons to wear in uniform, and long service awards. Does anyone here speak Macedonian?

Next up, the Medal for Merit for Macedonia (Медал за заслуги за Македонијk).

The Medal for Merit for Macedonia was also instituted on 27 June 2002 and is awarded to individuals and institutions for achievements that contribute to significant development and promotion of Macedonia in all areas of life and work, and to develop friendly relations between Macedonia and other countries, international bodies, organizations or associations. It was designed by Milkica Stefanovska.

The medal is basically circular with a diameter of 40mm. It is made of bronze with 24 carat gold plating. To the left there is a stylised sprig of oak leaves, which extends beyond the edge of the circular medal disk, and on the right there is a stylised ear of wheat. In the centre there is a map of Macedonia with the inscription Република Македонија (REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA).

macedonia006-01.thumb.jpg.60e645a3e6f7dc299b9decd43ef858ef.jpg

Here is the Medal for Bravery (МЕДАЛ ЗА ХРАБРОСТ), the last of the awards instituted on 27 June 2002. It is awarded to members of the armed forces of the Army of the Republic of Macedonia, the employees of the Interior Ministry and other people for personal courage and self-sacrifice in defence of the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the Republic, the protection of human lives or other noteworthy services.

macedonia007-01.jpg.f3592e3724e4ab884f607f32af8152a5.jpg

The medal is a stylised four-pointed star in gold-plated silver, with a diameter of 55mm. Behind the star are two swords in saltire, hilts downwards. The star is enamelled in red to give the impression of the Macedonian flag with a hollow white-enamelled circlet in the centre inscribed ЗА ХРАБРОСТ (FOR BRAVERY). The suspension is a stylised oak wreath bound in red ribbon. It was designed by Aleksandar Bajraktarov.

17 hours ago, Megan said:

за татковината (FOR THE MOTHERLAND)

Tатковината actually means fatherland. 

17 hours ago, Megan said:

There are a couple of medals to come... then I need to start figuring out the other stuff in the regulations, with some military awards which appear to be non-wearable plaques with ribbons to wear in uniform, and long service awards. Does anyone here speak Macedonian?

I speak Macedonian. Send me a private message if you have some questions regarding the text.

• 3 years later...