News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Honoris Crux Post Nominals

Wessel Gordon

In my collection of South African medals I have the Honoris Crux, Honoris Crux Silver and in the process of buying the Gold version so I have all 3 of the 4 variants (the Diamond was never awarded so trying to get a copy is an exercise in futility). The post-nomials are HC, HCS and HCG,

In my research I came across two soldiers who got the ''entry level'' Honoris Crux and the Silver Honoris Crux for a later action. My question is: were those two soldiers entitled to the post nominals HCS and HC or just the HCS?

In other words, if we take my name and if the medal was still awarded, would it be Wessel Gordon HCS, HC or Wessel Gordon HCS?

As an afterthought here's a picture of 3 of the 4 Honoris Crux Medals that was ever awarded:

Left to right: Gold, Silver and ''entry level'' Honoris Crux.

The only one missing is the Diamond version which was never awarded and never will be since the Honoris Crux series was discontinued. Since the series was discontinued and I'm only aware of one Honoris Crux Diamond that was manufactured for a museum I'm pretty sure I'll never add that medal to my collection.

These medals in my collection are miniatures since the full size versions are incredibly rare and therefor more than incredibly expensive.

IMG_20191129_153216.jpg