News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal manufacturers from the city of Dresden

Dear fellow collectors,

whilst dabbling in Saxon orders and decorations I often came across the manufacturers Scharffenberg and Glaser&Sohne who produced well into WW2. Scharffenberg did produce medalbars after 1939, and Glaser&Sohne made FEK's. Did their companies survive the firebombing of Dresden in 1945 and are the companies still producing? I did manage to find some info on Glaser still working, but the info seemed scarce and the pictures bad, unlike Hemmerle&co from München who still produce in the building they were in 100 years ago.

Kind regards, and thanks in advance, Laurentius

The store of G.A. Scharffenberg was at See-Straße 16:

The question is whether they also produced them there or at another place?

Pictures from http://altesdresden.de

image.thumb.png.7821e1bea4ca01befb7e72ccaa8164f2.png

image.png.47675011c14de9b278aca0d8e26bdb98.png

image.png.6b0a8c42f70faa229dd72f477fa587a6.png

image.thumb.png.5dc72dc02d37258a199e471e249aefae.png

What I think is also interesting is that G.A. Scharffenberg did lend pieces of his collection for the colored prints of the book "Der Königlich Sächsische Militär-St.-Heinrichs-Orden" from 1937:

image.png.35c51def916c2acf6af28b469d3016cb.png

Edited by Utgardloki

'S' isn't the mark for Scharffenberg, 'Scharffenberg' and 'Dresden' on the horizontal arms is. the 'S' mark stands for silver, however, since Scharffenberg was the only one to use this mark it has become known amongst collectors as a mark for Scharffenberg.

13 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

The question is whether they also produced them there or at another place?

My question was untill when they produced, since I only know of examples made at the latest during WW2.

8 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

I have seen a few of Scharffenberg's labeled medal bars made in the 1940's and the quality of the workmanship was very disappointing to say the least

I agree here, I can't recall seeing any medals made during that period, however the medalbars that I've seen were not of the greatest quality. I have always held the opinion that the orders produced by Scharffenberg were of better quality than the medalbars. This contrary to the various Godet firms, who produced medals and medalbars both of great quality.