News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI memorial plaque

I have started to have an interest in British medals and decorations. My interest has always been in researchable items which leads me to the WWI memorial plaques. Would some members be kind enough to post some pics of their plaques with the package and letters and what would be sent to the next of kin? Also what is the price range of the plaques? How difficult is it to get the persons service record? Thanks in advance.

I've had some very odd Memorial plaques over the years - kicked in the head by his horse whilst training in England; fell from a 4th floor window in Edinburgh; and accidentally shot at a rest camp in France must be the most unusual. 

On 23/12/2019 at 14:42, Duncan said:

I've had some very odd Memorial plaques over the years - kicked in the head by his horse whilst training in England; fell from a 4th floor window in Edinburgh; and accidentally shot at a rest camp in France must be the most unusual. 

Yes, we tend to forget the percentage of deaths which would have come under 'Other'.  The oddest I've heard of were what the Chindits, in the next 'Great' war referred to irreverently as 'Killed by Flying Fruit': men who, during an aerial  resupply drop in the jungles of Burma, were struck by a case of tinned pineapple or a duffle bag full of boots.  Drooped from 200-300 feet without parachutes! 

One of our Canadian Prime Ministers, Lester 'Mike' Pearson almost earned such a plaque.  While on leave from the Royal Flying Corps he was crossing the street in a blackout and was run down by a London bus and seriously, though nit fatally injured.

I had one several years ago where the cause of death was Stung by Numerous Insects (I guess Bees or Wasps).....    That has to be the oddest one I have ever seen.....

During the Boer War there were no Government issued Memorial  Plaques just one that the families had to purchase themselves…..  Here are some causes of death that I have gleaned from the causality list.....

Three Each for the following:

Died of Sunstroke,
    Shot by Comrade,

Executed for Murder,

Died due to Fall in a Mine,

Died of Exposure,
    Killed in Wagon Stampede,
    Killed in Fall under Water Cart,
    Killed in Fall off Railway Bridge.

Two Each for the following:

Discharged Due to Felony,
    Died of Compression of the Brain,
    Killed in Fall over Cliff,
    Killed by Bee Stings,
    Died in a Fit,
    Died of the Plague,
    Stabbed by the Natives,
    Killed by Lions,
    Killed in a Bar Brawl,
    Killed attempting to Escape the Boers

One Each for the following:

Joined the Rebels,
    Killed by a Crocodile while Swimming,
    Died from Rheumatism,
    Killed after being Gored by a Bull,
    Died of Tempanitis,
    Died from an Overdose of Morphine,
    Died from Exhaustion,
    Died of Melancholia,
    Died of Paralysis,
    Died from Shock,
    Died from Inflammation of Middle Ear,
    Died from a Lacerated Brain,
    Died from a Ruptured Kidney,
    Died from a Strangulated Hernia.......

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

I don't know whether his family was issued a Memorial Plaque and Memorial Cross, but I have a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal to a Garrison Artillery Gunner (later Canadian Engineers) who was killed by a mine in 1916.

I know, you're saying "So what?. Thousands were."

Here's the kicker- it was a naval mine ON LAKE ONTARIO.

He and a member of his company were rowing out to place several mines in the lake so they could film them being swept.  Unfortunately they (against orders) put mines and batteries in the same rowboat.

1593830513_GriffithsDeath.jpg.e5bac15aa3f6dc367647af5454cfac33.jpg

P9270369.JPG

21 hours ago, Gunner 1 said:

I have the medals to an officer who fell asleep on a long march, fell off his horse and was run over by a supply wagon, killing him instantly.

I work with high school students and do presentations on the CAMC in the Great War.  I begin by asking them 'What did soldiers die of?' and discuss bayonet vs rifle round vs shell fire.  And disease.  When I hand out the 20 'cause of death' cards, one says 'Other' and I tell them that the soldier fell off a wagon and was run over by the next wagon.  They all get that this is "the 1917 version of crossing the road while texting".  The only 'good death' is one that happens to somebody else!

Peter

When I was in the service in Germany during the early 1960s our division would go on maneuvers during February in the snow and cold.  When we were in position we had to run the engines of our tanks and self-propelled guns in case we had to move quickly. Every year at least a couple of soldiers would be killed as they were sleeping under the vehicle to keep warm and would be run over when the tank or gun moved.