News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More infos name needed (Oldenburg)

Hi to all, i need more infos about the following person:

Otto Thyen

* 15.08.1866 Neuenburg /Oldenburg
    + 15.09.1921 Miltenberg

He was Oberförster and in 1914 director of the Forst und Kolonialschule in Miltenberg / Bavaria. (i am not looking for the "consul" Thyen or the marine guy with the same name)

geb. am 15. August 1866 in Neuenburg in Oldenburg; er besucht nach der Dorfschule das Gymnasium in Varel, macht die Förstereilehre in Friedeburg, Ostfriesland, studiert dann Forstwissenschaft in Eisenach und Münden, wird Forstverwalter in Pommern (Stargard, Mecklenb. um 1910) , Posen, Kamerun (Pflanzungsbeamter 1897-99) und Westpreußen, ist dann Oberförster in Monschau - Imgenbroich im Rheinland; er stirbt am 15. September 1921 in Miltenberg am Main.

Zusatz: Er war 1913 noch in Monschau ansässig (Forst und Kolonialschule), kurz vor Kriegsbeginn 1914 zieht er wegen Differenzen ins nordbayerische Miltenberg am Main um.

Dort Leiter der Forst und Kolonialschule gemeinsam mit Richard Deeken (bis dieser noch 1914 stirbt)

What i need to know is: Did he get the Oldenburg House order knight 2nd class or 2nd class with silvered crown ("Ehrenritterkreuz") between ~ 1900 - 1918?

Thanks!

All I have for Thyen are the bayerisches König-Ludwigskreuz, the hessisches Kriegsehrenzeichen, and the preußisches Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe.  I haven't found anything on an Oldenburg decoration. I went through the Forstliche Wochenschrift Silva from 1913 to 1922 and the Deutsche Forst-Zeitung from 1907 to 1922.

The Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe?

Which year please, Dave?

It would be perfect - because i also have the data, that he was awarded with IC non-combatant.

The knight`s cross is a version between ca. 1900 - 1918.

Ich denke, er könnte es für seine Aufgaben in der Kolonie Kamerun (er war dort zu Forschungszwecken und als Pflanzungsbeamter eingesetzt - zwischen 1897/99)  erhalten haben.

Hi, thanks. The problem in my opinion is: Exactly -  he was Oberförster a.D. and as he moved to

Miltenberg as a  "director" it was a private school.

Oldenburg archives said: No KLK to Oldenburger citizen between 1916/18.

But as i know in other cases - not all data is complete or missing "in time".

I have a note in a newspaper, that he got the KLK in late 1918 - unmittelbar vor dem Zusammenbruch and thats

a reason, why the "Genehmigung zur Annahme" (da nichtoldenburgische Auszeichnung) is missing. Zwischen

Antrag und Genehmigung vergingen zumeist mehrere Wochen im Staatsminsterium  (weiß ich von Badischen und Württembergischen Archivbeständen). Ende Nov. 1918

erklärte der Großherzog in den "Medien" das er nicht mehr befugt wäre, jegliche Dekorationen

zu vergeben, bzw. zu genehmigen.

The owner of my bar was definitely an Oldenburger Landeskind.

Edited by ixhs

8 hours ago, ixhs said:

The Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe?

Which year please, Dave?

It would be perfect - because i also have the data, that he was awarded with IC non-combatant.

The knight`s cross is a version between ca. 1900 - 1918.

Ich denke, er könnte es für seine Aufgaben in der Kolonie Kamerun (er war dort zu Forschungszwecken und als Pflanzungsbeamter eingesetzt - zwischen 1897/99)  erhalten haben.

The BKLK and HE were in Forstlich Wochenschrift Silva, Jahrgang 1918 Ausgabe Nr. 37 (13.9.1918).

The PrVfK was in Forstlich Wochenschrift Silva, Jahrgang 1918 Ausgabe Nr. 42 (18.10.1918).