News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Steel helmet cover - cloth and... wire?

Good day everyone!

We all know that the german army of ww1 sometimes used covers for the steel helmet - but somehow pictures of these are quite hard to find unless you would want to pay a lot of money. You may imagine how happy I was (and still am) am when I recently found in a small group of post cards of a Unteroffizier in a saxon regiment - named and all - a group picture of his company, dated 5-1918, with different types of cover pictured! (at least I hope so but would ask for your expertise) ?

I am quite sure that there is a cloth cover on one helmet and - perhaps - the rarely seen "chicken" wire on the other? Looking forward to your feedback! (btw even if you disagree I am really into the expressions on the faces of these very young men - they are on the way into action and they know it...)

Best

ArHo

2019-12-14 18.12.35a.jpg

2019-12-14 18.12.35b.jpg

Edited by ArHo

Yes, interesting photos. The covers are not seen too often.

Here we see Fernsprech-Abteilung 208 of the 208th Inf.Div.

Note the stripe upon the left lower arm. The 208th was the so-called "Strich-Division".

Each unit had their own geometric symbol above the stripe. If it was a unit of the staff, they only wore the single stripe.

208.Inf.Div. (Fernsprech-Abteilung 208, Stahlhelm Überzug, Ovalabzeichen, Strichdiviaion).JPG

Edited by The Prussian

Hey, thanks for your answers and these very interesting image-additions! I had some contact with units of the ID 208 - but the name "Strich-Division" was new to me. Do you have any ideas on the helmet in the first picture - could it be wire? I cant take a better shot unfortunately..

Cheers

ArHo

Edited by ArHo

Just a little addition because I find it interesting: Strich-Division means stripe-division. In the summer of 1917 the men of the ID 208 were ordered not to wear any numbers on their epaulets /dont wear epaulets at all (compare the photo above) - the reason was secrecy. Instead they wore from June 1917 - as The Prussian already wrote above - on the lower part of the left sleeve of the tunic a horizontal stripe made from white cloth and above it different geometric symbols. IR 25 had a vertical stripe, IR 185 a slanting cross, RIR 65 a standing cross, FAR 267 a triangle, the foot artillery a square. The staff only wore the horizontal stripe. Source of the additional info: genwiki.genealogy.net

Cheers

ArHo

Edited by ArHo

Yes sir, you are right - of course! But I was far from all my books at home (I know the Baer but would not have looked there!) and found it all so interesting, that I just switched off the brains and translated from Wiki... mea culpa ?

Best and thanks for adding!

ArHo

Edited by ArHo

Very nice! Oberst Krause, Kommandeur IR 185 from 5.1915 to 9.1918! Here he is again from the regimental history. Impressive bar...

Best

Krause.jpg

Edited by ArHo