News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The last order is listed in the Kriegsrangsliste under foreign awards, below the "vaterländische" awards entry you posted, as Sc.F.3b, which is the Knight 2nd Class of the Royal Order of Francis I (Reale Ordine di Francesco I) of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. It was awarded on 18 August 1891. 

Although he had been deposed in 1860 by Garibaldi, Francis II was still styled King of the Two Sicilies until his death in 1894. His queen was Marie Herzogin in Bayern, daughter of Herzog Max Joseph in Bayern, a collateral line of House Wittelsbach to the royal house of Bavaria.

The order is not gazetted in the Verordnungsblatt des Königlich bayerischen Kriegsministeriums. Among ILR officers, Euler and later Generalmajor Otto von Lossow are both shown with the order in the 1895 Bavarian rank list (I can't find one closer to 1891).  I would guess the two lieutenants were tasked as protocol officers or the like for a visit by the former monarch and wife to Bavaria, or something similar. 

That a lot of these former Italian ruling houses (Tuscany, Parma, Two Sicilies, etc.) continued to award their house orders is unsurprising. They, along with former German and other houses, do to this day. That these orders were officially recognized in the Bavarian and Prussian armies is a little surprising.  Wehrmacht officers wearing Ernestine House Orders awarded in the 1930s by Herzog Carl Eduard might be a comparable situation.

On 29/12/2019 at 02:30, Dave Danner said:

The last order is listed in the Kriegsrangsliste under foreign awards, below the "vaterländische" awards entry you posted, as Sc.F.3b, which is the Knight 2nd Class of the Royal Order of Francis I (Reale Ordine di Francesco I) of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. It was awarded on 18 August 1891. 

And here is a photo of the Knight 2nd Class from our favourite Internet-based purveyor of medals in the Great White North. It's expensive! (The First Class has a crown above the badge.)

2019-12-30_22-29-02.png.12531df7b01ff5202223f9a7e31c996c.png

ETA: Someone else who got a Second Class in April 1891 was another Bavarian, Wilhelm Frieherr von Leonrod (his award letter was sold - not to me - on 14 March of this year, lot 1046, by Hermann Historica). 

Edited by Trooper_D

• 4 years later...